Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
larry8200

Fuel Cap/Gauge

larry8200
quote:
Originally posted by Burntime
I have tried plexi and bottle caps. In the end just buy a new one. Gas splashes up in them and it is the kiss of death!:D
I've bought a BUNCH over the years, as the amount of tractors using them has increased, so has the annoyance of replacing them. sm01

dentwizz
I took a completely yellow one and wet-sanded it with 400 and 600 grit sandpaper for about 20 mins and it came out clear. It is however a transparent plastic, and as such will do it again fairly soon(like a year). You might be surprised what you can sand and polish out.

B10Dave
CHas anyone had the gas cap problem I have now? Bought a new OEM Simplicity cap at a dealer for my 919H. Registered correctly for about six months. Now the float part doesn't. It is free on the spiral but it won't float in the gas. Would the 10% ethanol affect this? Dealer is an arrogant so and so and won't entertain any thoughts of warranty replacement.:(:( B10Dave

dentwizz
That is unusual. I have had several units and never had that happen. As far as I know it is solid plastic. If it is hollow that would indicate a hole- a defect. Check for an opinion from another dealer or mechanic and pursue your warranty with evidence:p

Al
Hi, The problem with the caps is that there is now way to put UV (ultra violet) protection in the clear plastic. The sunlight is what ruins them and causes them to shrink and let water in. 10% alcohol is a prescription for night mares in small engines. Probably 50% of our engine problems come from alcohol. This what causes the rust in the steel float bowls. Anyway there is only 30 day warranty on parts and the dealer cannot recover from Simplicity after that and he has to "eat" it out of his own pocket. Al Eden

dentwizz
Actually there is a clearcoating product available from automotive paint suppliers (I forget the name) that is applied after polishing to restore the factory durability. It is intended for plastic car headlights, which do the exact same thing without the addition of fuel vapors.