Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

7.25 hp troubles

henroan

Hi everyone. Need some advice on my 725. I replaced my head gasket and now for some reason I cant adjust the carburetor for high idle. It works fine at low idle but at high It just sputters and blows out black smoke. I know that black is gas but even if I adjust lower carb jet to only half turn out it does the same thing. I thought of timing so I replaced mech. points with elect. module but no change. I'm stumped. Any help would be appreciated. TIA Patrick Sorry for not posting in a while, Ive been very busy and poor. Now I'm trying to get this ready for plowing this winter.

Try replacing your plug. It is easy to get carbon fouled during a head operation. Usually if you are getting black smoke and sputters it is a derivative of misfiring. Sometimes it is from starvation of fuel.

By your description it is a carb. issue. I would start by going through the carb. then try readjusting it to 1.5 turns out from seat. The only place "BLACK" smoke comes from is unburnt fuel.

Check this out. There is also mor info on smokestack.com Search for model 19 ignition http://gasengine.farmcollector.com/gas-engines/Cheap-Fix.aspx

OK Nicholas, you just made my decision harder. I have been having the same problem with my Model 19 and had concluded that it was the ignition coil. I was about to order an aftermarket replacement and stick it in. After following searching the Smokestak.com site, I read a number of posts that indicate that even the NOS original B&S coils are problems and go bad just sitting. I believe I read that in the SimpleTractors archives as well. Has anyone had any luck (good or bad) with an aftermarket replacement, or even with a NOS Briggs one? I would love to hear several people say that they have had no problems with using an aftermarket coil. Has anyone tried the modification of a coil as described in the link? I would not be afraid to try it, but it will probably cost me as much as an aftermarket coil by the time I find new or used coil to modify and spend a bunch of time messing around with it. If I had a used coil sitting around, I would probably give it a try. Glen

I am in the same boat as you guys, thats why I found this info. I actually think that the motor I have has good ignition....now. I plan on cleaning up the tractor and motor and then painting it all. problem is, if these coils go bad as often as it sounds, I dont hink i want to install it unless I replace the it myself with this method. I would hate to tear an engine out of a freshly painted tractor. I am not sure but I think any of the Briggs coils that are usable are under $40 new. That is prob less than a NOS one for a model 19, and that may be bad anyway. i am thinking we would all be ahead if we just changed out the coils. Then we would have no doubt that we have good coils for a long time.

Turned out to be carb. Had 3 different carbs that I tried. Mixed and matched all parts of those carbs to find 1 good carb. To no avail. Removed motor from chassis. Mounted onto bench. Bypassed internal coil with external coil. No luck. Same problem. Replaced condenser. No change. I was stumped. Finally, removed 4th carb off running snow blower. BINGO. That was it. Why does it have to be so hard?

I have no idea, dentwizz. All 3 carbs were the same model. You would think that with 3 different carbs you could put 1 good carb together. After changing seats, needles, jets and different bottoms and tops just didn't find the right combo. I even had a rebuild kit, so I had 4 sets. The first carb I tried to rebuild. The other 2 I did not. My mistake. Worked on it for about 3 hours. I still have all carb parts so maybe at some point I can come up with 1 perhaps 2 good carbs. I certainly don't want to buy these things. Their awfully expensive. I,m not a mechanic, dentwizz, I wish I could help more. I'm am getting better though. Patrick