Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
mongolio

v-twin

mongolio
Am possibly picking up a 2000 Sovereign with the 18hp V-Twin. I have no knowledge of these, since my 916 has the 16hp K341. I would appreciate any tips or advice on these motors. Thanks, Scott

RayS
If it is the Command and it should be. Then it is a excellent motor. Read the motors operating manual and shut down as described. If it has a fuel shut off solenoid on carb you will need to shut off ignition at 1/2 throttle to full throttle or you could blow the head gaskets. I found out the hard way. It will back fire and cause the damage.

PGL
There is an article under the Resources tab covering how to assess a used tractor. I don't know if this is accessible to non-members.

mongolio
OK, let me phrase it this way, would anyone NOT buy a used 2000 Soveriegn because it comes with the 18hp OHC motor instead of the more desirable OHV motor? Thanks Scott

hotrodtractor
1997 and newer should be triad Junk... took mine out ASAP and sold it before it blew. look for oil covered heads and clogged air filters. Otherwsie tractors are solid...BGB should have no real play. FYI a good repower will cost over 2grand unless you want to do some rigging and fabing. Avoid honda kit as you will never be able to use the front pto if you so choose to get one. Vanguards are good but take some work to fit. good luck