Jump to content

Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
dentwizz

Decided to see what fit

Recommended Posts

dentwizz
I have been pursuing alternate ignition systems on my 64LL's 23D for a while, so when I had it pulled out and on the bench today I got an idea. Why not magnetron the engine? Because the 3 leg armature prohibits it. Soo, I realized the parts 243431(10hp) engine I have in the barn was a non-points version. Are they cross compatible I asked? YES. (Pictures are of the finished 23D, not the 10hp) [IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz291/sedonaatx/Image0142b.jpg[/IMG] The flywheels mount on the same shaft and have the same diameter. [IMG]http://i837.photobucket.com/albums/zz291/sedonaatx/Image0143b.jpg[/IMG] So I figured out the 23D's unique mount and the 10hp mount are the same base. The 10hp's units mated flawlessly to produce a very satisfactory spark indeed. Externally nobody is the wiser because the point's cover is where I will be housing the wire junction for the kill wire and the pulley to drive the belt is the same 23D pulley that was on there in the first place. Total cost= $0 Knowing I won't have to worry about wet points or other conditional problems for a long time= Priceless8D:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
timflury
Ok, so you put a flywheel and Magnetron upgrade kit from a 243431 onto a 23D. Dang, sounds too simple to me. Nice upgrade. Looks like you might need to seal up the old points plunger hole just to keep the oil out. Now did you have to splice on some extra spark plug wire there???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dentwizz
Actually, that is not an upgrade module. It is the stock OEM Magnetron model. That is the beauty of it. The hole is soon to be plugged with a bolt and sealant, good for spotting it though ;) The wire is un-spliced. I tried putting the coil from one of my other spare engines in due to slightly nicer condition but the leads were too short. The tape on the wire is because the wire was a little aged where the sheet metal was. Not an operational issue once covered, might substitute with tubing later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dentwizz
Sure. The points are replaced by a self contained transistor arrangement (aka, Magnetron). The only wire that comes out other than the spark plug's lead is the one that kills the spark(aka ground). The issue with the earlier 23D setup is the flywheel is a completely different magnetic arrangement and the mounting for the coil is 4 bolts instead of the modern(pictured) 2 bolt setup. In order for Magnetron to work, the polarity and number of magnets on the flywheel have to be properly set up to activate the transistor 'switch'. Fortunately, if replaced as a matched set with the mount as it came out of the newer engine, it is seamless. The next test will be whether or not this will be as easy on my dad's 2210's engine, also a 243431. The donor for these parts was apparently an after 1981 243431 type 0129 engine with vintage sheet metal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ZippoVarga
Sweet! I have a couple points eliminators, but as of yet, All my engines run like clockwork with the old points. At least I know how to convert them now! Excellent!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×