Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Converting Bolens Plow to Simplicity

larry8200

Picked this snow blade up a while back, I just couldn't pass it up for $50. It looks like a nice heavy duty unit untill you set it next to a Simplicity dozer blade... Rob, AKA snohiker welded up the brackets and I drilled the holes and set it up this afternoon. I don't see where I will need downpressure (hope) so I made a lift cable out of 3/16 stainless steel wire rope. It lifts easy. The lift bracket on the plow clears the tire about the same as the OEM drag link clears on the other side, if the axle is tipped enough it will rub. I set it up so the skid pads are level, but it looks like the blade is tipped back. I dont know if Bolens intended that or not. The angle on the scraper looks the same as my Simplicity blade. Since it's a spring trip blade, I can put some oak blocks in the stops to tip the blade forward if needed. However, I think this blade and hitch might have a future as a center mount grader.

• Like 1

I have blade just like that I made to fit my Simplicity. I just added some steel tubing to the hitch on the plow so it would fit the tractor. I also used a flat piece of steel at the lift rod with some 1/2" bolts and lock nuts.
  • Like 1

quote:
Originally posted by acjustin
I have blade just like that I made to fit my Simplicity. I just added some steel tubing to the hitch on the plow so it would fit the tractor. I also used a flat piece of steel at the lift rod with some 1/2" bolts and lock nuts.
I would like to see some pictures?

im glad it worked out larry make sure u get some paint on those dont want them to rust out in a hundred years or so,, i use the same lift rode set up on mine larry its a pcs of flatbar withe a whole in each end . what i do is put the tractor on some 2x6 to get it higher then grade then put the lift at almost all the way forward and measure from one hole to the other that should give you just enough down pressure again glad the parts worked out and if you need a pc of flatbar yell
  • Like 1

Going to take it off and apart, paint the hitch and scraper black, the blade orange, use my stencil to brand it "SIMPLICITY" and then put it on the right tractor. :D:D:D
  • Like 1

Here is how I done my mine. [IMG]http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv83/jlr78/DSC00027-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv83/jlr78/DSC00028-1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i672.photobucket.com/albums/vv83/jlr78/DSC00029.jpg[/IMG]

OrangeMetalGuy
I think I'd find a Simplicity spring-loaded lift rod instead of that angle-iron... no give if you hit something above the blade pivot point. Just my $0.02.

quote:
Originally posted by OrangeMetalGuy
I think I'd find a Simplicity spring-loaded lift rod instead of that angle-iron... no give if you hit something above the blade pivot point. Just my $0.02.
Or use a cable. My $0.02

I have an older Bolens 48 inch spring trip plow that I converted a couple years ago. It worked great last winter in the 6 - 7 inch snows. Just set it in the first angle notch and the snow rolls over and out the side. It worked so much better than the 36 inch blade that I gave my son. Didn't try it in the deeper snows, just went with the FEL on them. I made a solid rod to use with it, since my hydrolift on the 716H has a float position.
  • Like 1

This plow is only 42", I'm hoping it will work well for lighter snow falls and as backup if the 3416H with the blower gets tempermental. I have to say as long as it's not -20 I have a blast with the snowblower. :D
  • Like 1