Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Orange

What's your take on my '83 AC 917hydro drive probl

Orange
I have never had a problem with my 917 before. Well except for last summer. In January 2000 I completely drained the trans fluid and replaced it (it took forever to fill it through the small tube). The fluid probably hadn't been changed in years. I thought I was good for a year or so until June of last year. After a hard days work I parked it. On the floor the next day was a large amount of hydraulic fluid. It came out of the small breather valve on the left side of the transmission. There must have been pressure built up that somehow forced it out. I immediately filled it up and buried my head in the sand. I really didn't want to know what caused it. It worked fine the rest of the summer and has run well this year until last week. While driving from the garage to the garden at full speed it stopped. The engine and everything is fine. It has fluid. It did move but seemed like it had to build up pressure in the transmission and then it would finally move. It travels fine at low speeds but as soon as I quickly increase speed it will come to a stop, hesitate for 5-10 seconds and then take off. I don't know what to think? Is this a common problem. Please let me know if you have any ideas. Thank you!

MikeES
Yes, you must hold up the bleeder valve pin while you are filling or you can't get it full. I sounds like the system had air and over heated (pressureized) and push the fluid out. Good chance that it is still not full. Good Luck. Mike S.