Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblower bearing flange question

Michiganmobileman

Can someone tell me if this is right or am I a victim of a PO gone crazy? I do not know for sure the exact model as there is no tag. Should both halves of each bearing flange be inside the blower housing?. For the life of me I don't see how this should come out unless the shaft slides through the auger, and I am pretty sure that is a NOT.

Drive side.

Free side I have searched most of the exploded views available and some are vague but some of the newer ones do specifically show the drive side bearing on the outside of the housing. Any help greatly appreciated. Of course I did not notice this till I had welded the housing back up:(!. It was bad enough that I probably could have spread it apart to get the auger out. But as I was waiting for my PB Blaster to work on the set screws, I figured I should start welding up the bad spots. Greg

This is correct. The collar with the punch hole or dimple is a lock collar that locks the shaft to the bearing. Loosen the lock collar by putting a punch in the hole and hitting the punch to turn the collar counter-clockwise (usually)sm00 then unbolt the bearing and it all comes apart very easy.

I have a 1690547 and the flanges for the sprocket side are on the outside of the blower housing. You may be able to loosen and shove everything over to the free side to get flanges out.

? Greg; Flange for bearing on sprocket end is outboard of the housing on my spare blower. Can't see on my other one because it is covered up at the present time, but I believe they should all be as the pics show.dOd Dave.

Hey thanks guys!! As I expected I think I have been PO'ed:( But I pried mine apart tonight with a claw hammer and pry bar and this is what came out

These were not offset locking bearings, I had a cub cadet that used that style I think on the front PTO, and the outer locking piece was separate. But there are two set screws in each of these and the bore is solid. Also note the stamp on the top left bearing flange in the picture, Roberts, U.S.AdOd, F3-52 and the square carriage bolt holes. Where these OEM from Simplicity??? Any way she is apart and I will be getting new bearings as one of them had a not pretty sound in it when I spun the auger. The drive side flanges and bearing will be on the exterior of the housing unless for some reason the shaft is not long enough. Thanks for the replys, Greg

• 3 months later...
I would suggest staying with the setscrew locking collars instead of the eccentric collars - a little dab of Loctite Blue (medium strength) on the setscrews will keep 'em from backing out without applying external force (hex key wrench) to it. The eccentrics don't like vibration or reverse rotation too much, and could come loose even if you were to Loctite the setscrew in place. I have the current part numbers and a wholesale source for anyone who is interested. You can email me or reply to this thread.

I dont have a snow blower but i deal with roller bearing everyday at work and you can probally measure those with a micrometer and get them at any industrial supply house. they look just like a dodge 204 or 205 sc depending on the shaft size.

Well I hate say it but blower was making noises as well lately, I didn't happen upon the problem till for some reason I grabbed hold of the auger and it moved in a direction it shouldn't have! LOL
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/IMG_0188a.jpg[/img]
Chain was a little loose.
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/IMG_0189a.jpg[/img]
Isn't there supposed to be a bearing here?
[img]/club2/attach/ReedS/IMG_0190a.jpg[/img]
This used to be a bearing, wore right through the inner race! I installed an NOS bearing and am good to go! Note that the bearing flanges were on the outside on drive side of the blower.