Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Briggs 18HP Opposed twin out of ideas

ketchk

I just put a Briggs 18 HP opposed twin in a 0 turn my son brought over and hava problem with it running. First i did a compression check and have 70 lbs. in each cylinder. i cleaned the carb and put in a new fuel pump diaphragm all seamed good. with it running i disconnected one plug wire and it keeps running then after putting it back on i pulled the other off and it keeps running so i have good compression, have fuel, and spark but it runs like i have the choke on. ill get sputtering some times and when i engage the PTO ill stall right out like there is not enough power My question is where do i look now ther are no points HELP Andy

The main mixture sounds to be off. Some of the 18's had an adjustible carb jet some didn't. It sounds to me like it is probably too rich or the air is restricted. What condition is the air filter?

Guys thanks for the help. no matter how much i think i know its usually the basics YES it was the main jet in the bottom of carb took it apart cleaned it and it runs like new thanks for the help Now i can sell the 0 turn and pay for my fuel oil bill thanks Andy oh here is a pic of my work horse took me about a year to do