Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to the tractor world: how to id kt17 series?

Kenzen

I recently moved from a house with a yard the size of a tractor, to one that needs one. I'm looking at a DA917 locally that is in beautiful shape and runs well. Q: How do I quickly id if it has a series I or II engine? Thanks!

The series II that was in my GTHL had an air cleaner cover with a "Series II" decal on it; part of it can be seen in this pic at red arrow:

Of course a rod was broke when I got the tractor. It now has a Briggs in it. And if someone changed your air cleaner cover....

I know. Thanks to this forum, I was able to research the concerns with the series I, and since my yard is effectively one long hill, the oil starvation problem would eat the motor. The current owner cited the motor was on "borrowed time" although there was no evident smoke or noise when I first saw it, and the hunting idle speed was clearly a carburetion problem (easy rebuild). He's the second owner and has taken beautiful care of the tractor, but has no idea what kind of run hours are on it. I've read all the repower options/costs, and simply want a few numbers in my back pocket for negotiation points with cost of rebuild/repower. Quickly determining series I or II changes the tune from "definite need to repower asap" due to design and my yard, to "probable repower in the future" due to cost, but with not asap, and possible rebuild (just for the fun of it). In reality, I'll probably drive it till it explodes, and look for a repower engine candidate in the process to have on stand-by. Thx!

The ways you can tell is by looking at the serial number(24---), or the air filter housing. Series I has a tear drop look to it, and the series II is a round dome. Ryan-WI Allis Chalmers 916H Allis Chalmers 917H Deutz Allis 1920H

keep the oil level on the hi side. It needs all the oil . oil capacity of motor is 1 quart i think. Change oil frequently and the motor should last a long time

I didn't think to correlate the limited DA917 time availability against the longer 7117/AC917 availability. Makes sense that the DA's are too new for a series I - thanks! Hopefully I mow the lawn tomorrow with it, replacing a really tired, "pulled from the woods behind the shed" MTD that I resurrected to hold me over 'till I found something more appropriate. Ken