Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hotrodtractor

Sovereign 75th Anniversary tractor Chrome

hotrodtractor
Looking for ideas on a Sovereign 75th Anniversary tractor. My Command package is coming next week and I wanted to complement the new repower with some added touches. The Triad that I removed had chrome head plate covers and bolts and I want to continue that trend with the command. What I would like to end up with is similar to this http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/75th_anniversary.htm but, either keep the original exhaust or latter on get a custom dual pipe kit made. I don’t like that one in the picture. So here’s my plan and I am looking for feedback. I know a company in MKE that will Chrome parts for me (no plastic). Here’s the parts I plan to chrome for sure: heat shields (baffles), aluminum valve covers, debris cover 24 063 32-S. Other things that I thought would look nice chromed: front mesh grill, hydro lever, lift lever, hydro fan cover on rear, and running boards (not sure on this one). I would love to hear thoughts or suggestions to other parts. The tractor is mint and I don’t mind sticking a few bucks in it, but can’t go crazy. For reference the 75th looks like this http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/gallery/main.php?g2_itemId=105127&g2_imageViewsIndex=1

cwm1276
Check with Phandad, he just finished one, http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=113868 He was lucky enough to have a hacked up hood as well!!.

hotrodtractor
thanks for the link, I saw pics when he 1st got it. It appears that his goal is function not show. I would like to think that I am going for a much more show look. My main concern is going to far from factory, but I don't ever plan to sell anyway... but that's what they all say

Burntime
Just don't over do it. A tractor does not need 22's and spinners:D I agree the exhaust looks useless if you install a cab. I would love to find one reasonable but I would use it. Keep us updated on pics. I have heard 3 or 4 members use Als kit and they were all happy!

hotrodtractor
Dubs and spinners now that's a idea. Not! Agree, I do plan to use it/work it,heck I would not think twice about putting my bucket on there and playing in the dirt. The original deck has never seen grass, so I will keep it preserved. I am looking for a black deck for it now to serve cutting duty. It will do plow duty this winter (chrome rims removed), or may setup with the 36" 2 stage Ariens to compliment the 2000 with a single stage 6" pulley mod. I don't think I will put a cab on it as my 2000 has it and putting it on/off scratches that machine up a bit. Agree on the over doing it part... which is why I wanted everyone's opinion here. I like to be original and unique. I don't want my 75th to look like everyone elses....yet I don't want to make it look to "pimped" or tacky. Simplicity did a good job with the design of the 75th I just want to go a little further.

cwm1276
I understand the valve covers and such, I think it did such that you had to lose that bling to have a functioning engine. After looking at PhanDad's I could see the lift and hydro chrome as the tractor looks to grey in that area.

PhanDad
I agree with the others that you don't want too much chrome; IMO, if you do your entire list, that would be too much. I was thinking of getting the heat shield chromed the Command in my 75th, but it would have been a hassle for me, and since it's a worker tractor decided not too. And if I had, then I would have had the exhaust rechromed because their are stains on it that won't buff out.

hotrodtractor
you guys are awesome thanks for the input. Agree on the whole list being too much. Think I decided against the running boards plus it's expensive. My thoughts where that lower 1/2 tractor chrome top blue, think body lines and Harley motorcycles. Most people including my wife think I am nuts for putting this much thought + investment into a tractor... but hope you guys agree it's a worthy machine to invest in. Here's my logic I will always need to mow grass so life changes should not affect this hobby (I am only 31 so no condo or nursing homes anytime soon I hope). When my kids came (I have 2 under 2) I sold the muscle car, lifted truck, and speed boat. And got into the tractors....who would of thought :) Any thoughts on the chrome grill screen? Might be too much with the chrome bumper and lights. What about some rear treatments like rear hydro fan cover/shield? I like the chrome shocks idea I saw on the mods discussion. http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=87096 I agree on the levers I think I will do them chrome. Yes Stainless is great and plan to redo the hardware with that when/where possible. Bill great restore on that WOW. I was lucky enough to have no repairs and a fresh machine to start with. Mine had only been used in the Parade then stored in a barn. But had to get that triad out of there before I got stuck with it.

hotrodtractor
some teaser pics have not sent parts out for chrome yet as baffle linkage cover is backordered. I am very happy with the valve covers.. was pissed the day they came and found a great big logo as part of the mold (I thought they were just plain). ground sanded and polished that off. yes very dusty now. yes that's a $150 optima battery :)yes that ss braided hoses.... my obsession continues.

hotrodtractor
in case you are wondering the parts missing are in a bucket getting ready to go to the chromer. this is a work in progress. Really would like to do the whole muffler in chrome, but chrome blues around 800 or so.

timflury
Kevin, Here's where you need to send your exhaust. http://www.classiccoatings.com/ceramic.html They are up in Sheboygan. They do top notch work. The polished Cermakrome will not turn blue. I have had a lot of work done by them. It is of the highest quality.

hotrodtractor
great advice Tim thanks, I looked at classic coating and will check out the cost to get a muffler done. Must admit never thought I would own a tractor this nice. Last call for any more ideas on what to get chromed. Now you can see the tractor. The rear is still plain minus the chrome hydro filter. http://simpletractors.com/Club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=87096 msiebern posted this picture and have thought about adding the shocks, any ideas where to get or what to use?

hotrodtractor
Wow you mean there's other guys who enjoy looking at these things too :) Most people think I am nuts for investing so much time in this machine.OO Guess us tractors guys are a rare breed.... glad to have you guys around! I do plan to show it... and use it. Bye the way I enjoy feedback and ideas... don't be affraid to tell me if something looks bad... example my cheap chrome trim on the seat belly pan. Was thinking about putting in a black gas tank for looks. I know they suck for being able to see how much gas is in there, but that offyellow one stands out. You guys agree?

hotrodtractor
ok guys found the shocks need 13" center to center. Now need your opinion on 3 choices. spring, shock, spring/shock. I think I like the spring/shock best. Spring style is harley. Shock style would be easiest to clean and not rust.

they are all about $30 set new, not bad!

hotrodtractor
Yup I am into the show factor :drlGlad we found out who's Harley machine that is... nice. Any chance you could post a pic of the rear side please.

ZippoVarga
The only thing I see that's out of place is that it's sporting a Kohler instead of a real engine..lmao. I know I'll pay dearly for that, but it's ok.....I still know Briggs are best. hehe As for overkill...I see nothing that could be considered such. My old 1964 Landlord has chrome lights off an old Harley FLH, a chrome light bar (origin unknown), chrome stack (80 bucks at the local Portland Indiana Gas Engine and Tractor Show) and no...they guy no longer sells them, Chrome air cleaner, shift knob and under sized hub caps, modified to fit. I say.....if you're the owner, and you like how it looks.....just post pictures for us old guys to drool over. I would love to send off a set of stock wheels to the Chromer, but at 200 bucks....I'll stick with the look I've got and just keep my eye out for a chrome or aluminum set to present it self. If I were you, I would look for something other than your 75th to use on the grass. Besides.....you're not a TRUE Simpletractor member unless you have one tractor PER implement!! lol Just for entertainment purposes.....here is a pic of my beloved 1964 Landlord, and no, it's not restored....yet.

hotrodtractor
agree 75th will see light duty, but can't justify not using it. Will just have to keep it clean. Orginal deck has never ever seen grass and that will not change. However, I plan to get one of the other 48" decks stripped down this winter and linex black(bed liner coated)to use on the 75th for occasional mowing. I like briggs also and thanks to Ron I got a Vanguard to put in one of my Sovereigns. Mu old 7010 has the 10hp briggs but she died.