Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Revitalized Lawn - Update - Some Growth

PhanDad

Had the driest summer ever in my immediate neighborhood. From the middle of June to the end of September there was 1 measurable rain in July - over an inch that fell in less than 10 hours. Unfortunately my ground was already hard as a rock and most of it ran off. During the rest of the summer, there were thunderstorms all around, but NONE over my neighborhood. The lawn was decimated. Time to put the revitalizer to work. These are pics of the back yard, I had already done the front and sides, but didn't take any pics.

A closer look:

The "fun part" is using this:

Unfortunately, tractor time was over in less than an hour. Then it was raking time. Years ago I tried using a lawn sweeper to pick up the thatch but too much of my precious top soil was picked up as well. I found manual raking makes a better seed bed. Here's a couple pics after raking:

And sometimes I'm watched:

Now all I need is some warm sunny weather to get the seeds to start to grow before winter. No luck so far, but next week should be good with temperatures forecast to be in the 70's.

Bill, I have been avoiding that very same task in my weed bed (excuse for a lawn). It was also dry here for much of the time, even some of the crabgrass browned off. I still have to tear down my unit and replace the worn blades with new. Post some picts when It grows back in ! Greg

Nice Revitalizer! Hadn't seen one till now. This summer was bad for a lot of lawns and more, mine was right on the edge when we got relief. Looks like your gopher has the green thumb! :D

I am looking to buy a reviatlizer for Sovereig. A local guy a 38" revitalizer for sale, he said knives are bad. I looked up the part and seems nobody sells replacements. Know any secrets where to get replacements or what to retro fit?

quote:
Originally posted by hotrodtractor
I am looking to buy a revitalizer for Sovereign. A local guy a 38" revitalize for sale, he said knives are bad. I looked up the part and seems nobody sells replacements. Know any secrets where to get replacements or what to retro fit?
I buy the smaller ones and use the blades from them. They were still making them until Briggs bought them out:(. Evidently Briggs must think no one uses them!

It's been a little over 2 weeks and the lawn was lucky enough to have about a week of warm weather. As you can see in the following 2 pics, there's a green cast over the worst areas now:

Here's some closeup pics:

I doubt if there will be much more growth this fall, but hopefully it'll takeoff in the spring.

Interesting color scheme on the revitalizer. Must have been from a Homelite setup. The wheels are different too. They do do the job though. You are getting the new growth.