Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Rob-B

What happened to the Triad (TH) OHC Engines?

SmilinSam
From an inquiry I made Kohler claims that theTH-18 like in my MF 2818 is not a problem engine. However from what I have heard here on the discussion page, and elswhere, there seems to be reason to believe otherwise. Mine has suffered from leaking valve covers fresh out of the factory, if not caught in time I have talked to others in my area where this led to clogging up the cooling vanes and ultimately sleeves popping loose. There also seems to be complaints of a nasty vapor lock problem as the temperature increases over the summer. Mine has this problem and I'm still trying to find a solution. Until the weather gets to be in the 90's I usually don't have a problem, so I have a little time yet to find a solution. Other than that It seems to run OK. Other owners may disagree. Even if there were problems with this engine, as evidence may or may not be pointing to, The liklihood of Kohler admitting to it is pretty low. A recall would be costly to say the least. From what I see, Kohler is fixing the problems on a per complaint basis, and the dealers seem happy to help. Knowing the whole true story surrounding this engine would be interesting indeed.

AGCO918
my agco918 has had the carb rebuilt the valve cover and fuel pump assembily replaced and the breather in front of the engine replaced but no vapor lock at all.engine is great now.a per complaint basis indeed.after you talk to kohler on the phone they want to make it right.at least they made my agco918 run better after all the complaining i did.after dealer has it documented kohler will pretty much take care of the problem and make it right.agco918 chad e shafer

Rob-B
Didn't Simplicity install Kohler TH engines in the Sovereign during the last few years of production..? Simplicity doesn't seem to be offering that engine any longer, not even in the Legacy. How come..? Are there problems with it..?

SmilinSam
Don, I use the non alcohol regular gas and have tried it from several different places. Never have a problem in the winter cold, or mild summer temps, but when the thermometer nears 90 degrees or more I start in with the trouble. Sam

dmcluckie
Sam, Vapor lock can sometimes be cured by switching gasolines. If there is any chance that you are using winter-spec gas, that could cause it. I also would recommend regular instead of premium, and non-ethanol or non-reformulated, in attempt to solve the problem. -Don