Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kenzen

Picked up "new" DA917H

Kenzen
This is a follow-up to my post on how to id a KT17 series I from a series II. I picked up the DA917H this afternoon, original series II, complete with plow, tiller, weights, chains, 48" deck - great shape, $900 delivered. Needs a carb rebuild. I'd upload an image if I could figure out how....? Ken

johnmonkey
Welcome fellow Marylander. You have to be a paying member to post pics. It will be well worth the $10.00 membership fee. I just replaced a kt17 series 1 with a 16 briggs twin I/C. jh

B10Dave
:ONice looking tractor. I have been looking for one to contrast with my 919. Very few green ones sold around here. Local dealer at that time not a fan of green ones. Oh well; guess I have to drool over your pic and wish some more.dOd B10Dave.

Kenzen
quote:
Originally posted by Willy
very Nice for a first machine,now you need an old beat up one so you can get your hands dirty.^
Well...I have a 14.5hp/42" MTD I call "Lazarus" - pulled it out of the woods from behind the house I just bought. After a "hillbilly" carb rebuild (no new parts), new battery (wallymart), fuel drain/fill, oil, etc., the Briggs engine run's great. As for the rest of the tractor, more paint has fallen off then remains on, fenders are all bent up (25 gauge maybe), every component of the drive train and pto is rusted brown, safety switches possessed by demons, tires are dry rotted and kept alive with tubes, eats belts, and it's a "Rolls Canhardly": rolls down hills, can hardly get back up them. I'll probably take it to my in-laws place in PA and use it there - small and flat property. Besides that, I have a 66 corvair I'm restoring that keeps me dirty and full of welding burns.

Kenzen
Thanks for the compliments on the tractor - I'm not one to buy anything new (especially the plastic toys sitting in front of the box stores), and the value of this forum in researching the tractor is what led to my buying it. It's amazingly clean and well kept - I even rec'd the original manual and all the receipts for work done over the years.

Kenzen
Wow...and I just found the carb rebuild kit in a bag of stuff the past owner gave to me - wish I didn't have to replace the tub seal in my washing machine tomorrow...

johnmonkey
Real clean looking tractor - ya done good, much better than a store bought piece of C _ _ P. Make sure you check the bevel gear oil and it couldn't hurt to change the oil in the engine and tranny (with new filters of course). Use Simplicity filters for the tranny. jh PS I seen a few "Rolls Canhardlys, I like the Silver Shadows better.

Kenzen
thanks! - my next inquiry is a "what's the laundry list of things I should do to accomplish all the maintenance that may or may not have been done?" e.g. fluids, filters, adjustments, etc.