Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New to me B10 questions

Architectdave

Architectdave
I recently picked up a pretty beat B10 starter/generator shot, third gear no existant and ran terrible. So far I have repalced the rear bushing on the S/G so thats working, drained the sludge from the crank case BGB and Rear end, all new fluids, adjusted the brake so it works again and cleaned and adjusted the carb. Ive got it so it runs pretty well but I have a couple of questions. Third gear is not working, it shifts into gear but its like the key is stripped, feels that way anyway. Someone said they thought the first third pinion was split(?) Can anyone elaborate on what that means and how I can fix it? The engine. When I throttle up from idle it pufs a bit of smoke. When it starts cold, it puffs smoke, when the governor hits a load and it revs, it pufs smoke. Is the carb still in need of work or is that the oil ring? Where can I get a new air cleaner and element for the 23d? Thanks for the help guys.

Can't tell you about transmission, but the engine puffing occasional smoke is a sign of the oil control ring wearing out. Also, if your air cleaner element is foam, the Briggs number is 270093 and NAPA P/N 7-02221.

The transmission pinion gear is a 3 part peice that is furnace-brazed together comprised of a small gear(1st) and a large gear(3rd) and a shift fork reciver flange. The brazing fatigues with sufficient service life resulting in that result. New is $130 so if you don't mind used parts that is the cheaper way to go. I went new on mine for peace of mind but it was a significant investment considering the whole tractor cost $150 to buysm00. The engine sounds like my 23D. I re honed it, re ringed it and it still does it. In my case it was/is valve guides bleeding oil. The only fix is to have a machine shop re-bush or knurle them. I am having mine bushed in a couple days. It costs about $60 at my local shop so I guess it's not so bad.