Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Brettw

Kohler Magnum vs KT electrical

Brettw
I picked up a new Kohler magnum 18 today to replace the KT19 in my 7119, my understanding is that the electronics are magneto ignition vs the coil ignition on the KT19. Will this wire right up to the 7119, or will I need some type of different harness/ ignition switch? Thanks in advance to all of the sparkeys out there.

MikeES
You will need to change your ignition switch. The magnum ignition wire is grounded to kill the engine, to run the engine the ignition module wire is open. DO NOT apply 12volts to this wire as it will fry the electronic ignition. So change the ignition switch or just put in a toggle switch for the ignition and use the key switch for starting,(if you put in a toggle switch, remember to leave the ignition switch on while running as the charge circuit passes through the ignition switch.

GregB
The easiest way is to buy the kit that Al Eden's business sells. I used it, worked great when I did the same swap in my 917. [url]http://www.edensltd.com/repowereng/default.htm[/url] Some of the links seem broken, but the contact info is there.

PhanDad
When I switched from the KT17 to a Briggs in my 17GTH-L, I replaced the ignition switch with one designed for a Briggs and changed the wire locations in the female ignition switch connector to match the Briggs wiring. If I remember right, I couldn't use the Kohler "+" wire to the coil for the ground wire because it wasn't long enough to reach the front of the Briggs engine where the kill connection is. Depending on where the magnum kill connection is, you might not have to replace it. I could have extended the wire, but I don't like splices in wires if they can be avoided.

country
I made that switch this summer. With a little electrical knowledge of the ignitions work on the KT vs. the Magnum, one could figure out what part is needed to make this swap. That being said, Al's kit is pretty cheap and will work easily, I'd recommend it.

Brettw
Thanks all. It's all bolted in and ready to go. Waiting for Al's kit. He's one heck of good guy, lots of help, friendly and professional. Thanks again.