Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
RonHatch

B10 Vacuum pickup system

RonHatch
I noticed in the vacuum manual there is a baffle that bolts to the inside lead edge of the mower deck. Of course I don't have that piece, but it looks like a plain length flat iron, so I can just make a new one. My question is; How far does the baffle extend below the front lip of the deck? I'm thinking it is even with the sides and the back lips of the deck. Now I wish I would of located a good used 12 HP Briggs instead of spending a lot on rebuilding the original 10 HP. Driving a 42" deck, a blower and pulling a trailer full of chopped up leaves is going to make that 10 HP really work. For the last 10 years, I've been using a 1989 4016 Ingersoll that has a 48" deck and a hydraulically driven blower. The 16 HP Owen handles it with ease and it does a good job. Unfortunately, I'm tired of installing new "O" rings in the blower motor every year. I just want a simple belt driven system. Does anyone have experience using a vacuum on a B10? Can the engine handle it?

RayS
Even with sides. I have it for my 42" deck but not on my 48" deck. Works just as good without it in my opinion. The engine will handle it just fine.

Willy
The baffle is sheet metal bent in a 45 deg angle and it fits flush with the front of the deck, the lower bend is about 1 inch. They are very easy to make. I use my vac with my Big-10 and it works fine. In heavy stuff you may have to use first gear,but normally I can run in second.