Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Repowering the 7119 Completed

Brettw

Started on the install of the new magnum in the 7119. It needed a little frame modification, but it fits cleanly and will be ready when I change over the ignition.

Looks good, I just got my briggs twin I/C installed and running in my AC 917. I need to hook up an exhaust and snow cab and I will be ready. jh

It was a steal. Just lucky to be looking in the right place at the right time. Cheap at three times the price, AND just what the doctor ordered.^

Did the final fitting, completed the painting for this phase, bolted it all in and together. I've got to clean out and clean up the tank, install and hook up the fuel, and hook up Al Edens ignition kit. New battery, re-paint the hood and grill and it will be close to complete.

I'm really jazzed about the oil filter setup. Also have a note into the decal guy, need new hood decals. This will be my keeper, so I am going to try to make it as close to a full restore as I can. The dream engine and tractor should last for many, many years to come. Thanks to all of the help with this from Ryan and the rest of you! I will keep updating the progress.

Looks like a nice fitdOd and a strong project overall , and I think you're right it should last almost forever. What are you painting with?? Oh and I am glad to see you finally took the tags off Minnie;):D. Greg

Farm & Barn AC Orange rattle cans, and my favorite: Rustoleum Antique White. Tires and wheel will be next. The only real issue is, when I picked it up it the KT19 was already grenaded so no way to test the trans, hydro, etc. Have to believe the PO and the odds of blowing the engine and lunching the hydro at the same time. Fluid was full and clean, BGB is solid and tight, so I hope to be good to go (knock on wood).

nice repower and awesome work we are almost neighbors Bret. Why a magnum? I had plenty of them and love the torque but they just don't last like the commands. If I recall the experts like Al Eden claim 2 to 3 times longer life with a command over the magnum. With that heavy motor in there you might want to look into pwr steering or the V61's or other ribbed tire in front they help a lot. Gary in waukesha has one with a magnum in it he calls it the beast. Lot's o power those magnums.

quote:
Why a magnum?
$500 new in the box, and bolts right in to replace the KT19. Couldn't think of any reason to not like the magnum. 8D

Waiting on Al's wiring package so I can install the tank and battery. All else is ready. Just tires and wheel cleanup, decals will be all that is left.

Oh, and final exhaust modification. Existing muffler had a small hole in it, so I will be using the new muffler. Need to fab a "tailpipe" is all.

I just verified with the engine serial number. It was manufactured in 1994. Sitting in the warehouse for 16 years, and along comes old Rumple Stillskin Brett to scarf it up. Some days, the tractor gods smile down upon us.^

It's Alive! I started it for the first time, with the help of Al's kit. At first, all hooked up turn the key for the first time and.........nothing. So, out comes the battery again, check all the wiring looking at the solenoid, follow all the leads to see where they......go. Some to a safety switch. OK, let's try it again without the PTO lever engaged. Spun like a top then. I spun it for a dozen or so revolutions without the plugs in or fuel to the carb to fill all the oil journals. Took some spins afterwards to fill the carb but then it fired right up. It is an M18QS, the Q for quiet. Compared to the K321 it sure is quiet, and smooth. My first 2 cylinder. Sweet.

Thanks to everyone with their help on this. Tires and it is done! What is really kind of incredible, is that it sits for 16+ years and then it actually just fires right up. The guy on the assembly line, who was 20 something, may well be in in his 40's now.