Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Chris727

Muffler source?

Chris727
I just scored a used 18hp Command to repower my 75th Sovereign, but the Triad muffler will not work on the command. Simplicity gets $186 for the Command muffler kit, aftermarket ones are under $50 but exit on the side and won't work. I had no idea a muffler would cost so much. Only gave $120 for the engine. The flanges are angled different on the triad muffler but I'm thinking of cutting them off and welding them on so they are oreinted correctly. Any ideas?

hotrodtractor
yup muffler flags are different. Not sure if back pressure muffler is different between OHV vs OHC, but you could try it. Also how did you solve the drive shaft issue or did you get a rubber couple with you command? Another dead Triad surprise surprise :)

PhanDad
Chris, The Triad didn't use a rubber coupling, just 2 fiberglass disks like the old Simplicity setup. Obviously no "nose" on the driveshaft. The stock Command setup used a rubber coupling and a 17 1/4" long driveshaft with a longer "nose" than 17 1/4" KT rubber coupling driveshaft. Since you have the Triad muffler, an option for you would be to buy Command exhaust stubs from Kohler and use them to modify the Triad muffler. Great score on the Command.

Chris727
Thanks for the info guys. I just looked it up on the fiche, I do have a couple of extra KT rubber couplers. Driveshaft runs around $79. Looks like the triad mounts on a plate, I assume the Command will bolt right to the frame.

PhanDad
Yes, the Command bolts right to the frame and the holes are predrilled. Oil drain also lines up perfect. Engine wiring is slightly different - the Command has a solenoid with the starter and it's my understanding if a cable isn't run directly to it from the battery, you run the risk of damaging the Command starter.

hotrodtractor
you need to do some wiring mods (was hardest part in my opinion) ditch the plate the command does not use it. The engine plugs don't fit together either so you could hack and solder them, or what I did was cut the plug off the blown triad and make my own harness. But you still need that starter wire mentioned

PhanDad
Another wiring option is to buy a matching wiring harness connector (female) and a couple of wiring terminal connectors from Kohler. Remove the wiring from the tractor wiring harness and reinstall the wires in the correct connector holes. For the start circuit, you'll need to run 1 wire from the dash mounted solenoid to the harness connector and that's where you'll use the terminal connector. This is in addition to the main battery cable. And the final bit of wiring is to get a hot wire from the "+" battery post to the ammeter. The Simplicity "+" battery cable for the Command installation has this attached. A couple other thoughts, if the Command you picked up also has the oil sentry, you can wire that into the shutdown circuit right at the connector. If the engine doesn't have the chopper intake screen, you may want to consider installing one. My Command didn't and the air inlet was packed with grass clippings (for some pics, see my comments in this post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=112545&SearchTerms=command The issue is cost, besides the chopper screen you need a different blower housing and mounting hardware. And iIf your Command has the fuel pump mounted on the valve cover, it'll hit the hood and prevent the hood from closing properly. You can see where the hood was bent for clearance on my 75th. If you want to see any pics or further detail, let me know.

Chris727
These are all good points you guys are brining up. Yes it has the oil sentry and the pump is on the valve cover, in fact he even gave me an extra NOS one. Sounds like I'll have to move the pump. I still haven't had this engine running so I'll have to do that before buying parts, but if it runs well, I might go ahead and see if Al Eden has a kit with the components needed for the conversion.

CarlH
Bill, Just to clarify. The valve cover pump you refer to is the mechanical pump? The vacuum pulse type pump clears the hood fine on my Command repower.

PhanDad
Carl, Yes the valve cover pump is mechanical; the pulse pump mounts to the blower housing and, as you said, clears the hood fine. And thanks again for helping me with my chopper screen install. Chris, You can't move the pump, as Carl states it's mechanical and that's why it's mounted on the valve cover. You need the pulse pump which is driven by engine vacuum. Al Eden doesn't have a "kit" for the conversion (as of last winter), but he was extremely helpful and supplied all the individual parts I needed for the proper install of a Command in a Sovereign. Thanks again Al.