Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Non-typical Deck Belt Question

JayM

In addition to replacing the 10 hp engine with a 16 hp B&S, the former owner of my Landlord 3410H (990757)mounted a 48" deck. From all the literature I have seen, the 42" deck was standard on the 3410's, and the 48 incher was available for the 3415 Sovereigns of that era. When I got the tractor last year, I obtained new Simplicity belts for the deck and PTO. The PTO belt seems a tad too long for this application, allowing it to slip and the blades to slow down when getting into a patch of taller or heavier grass. Otherwise, the deck in in fine shape and mows up to the Simplicity tradition. I suspect the problem results from mounting the 48" deck on a machine it was not intended for, and some small difference in needed belt size results. Having heard all the warnings about belts that are not OEM, I've hestitated to trot off to find one an inch shorter. Any suggestions or ideas? They will be appreciated. Thanks, JayM

Could be wrong, but I thought the landlord and soveriegn were the same tractor except engine, and possibly rear tire width so the belt should be the same. I think the belt on my 3416H is 71.6" and I am running a 48" deck if it helps. Brent

Not sure if everone else is aware of this or not but these industral belts are not measured around the outside like auto grade belts. I just became aware of this tidbit in Fairbanks last week at Ak bearing co. Explains why I thought the new Drive belt for my B112 was to long, like I thought the ole one was...live and learn....MPH

I went though about 4 $4.99, 72" belts from the local discount/farm store on the 3416H in about 1 1/2 mowing seasons. These belts would roll real easy. I just couldn't bring myself to buy the RIGHT belt, until after the last one broke the first time I mowed this year. Coughed up the $28 for the Sim. 71.6" belt and have mowed roughly 20 acres with it so far this year with no sign of problems. Brent

PTO (YES - PTO) belt length is different for 42" or 48" decks on the 7000 & 7100 series. Maybe the same applies to the 3400 series. I don't have a manual for those.

I have swapped decks (42" and 48") on my 3414S Baron and used the same PTO belt for both. I believe the center arbor on both decks is in the same place in relation to the front axle mounts. Mike S.

Thanks, everyone, for your replies. The mower manual I have includes both the 42" and 48" decks. Simplicity belt numbers shown are : 42" mower - PTO #174687, cross deck #108209, 48" mower - PTO #163011, cross deck #108450. I'm using the correct belt for the 48" deck. Since Friday is the first day in 3 weeks that the sun's supposed to shine in this part of Wisconsin - and I'm taking the day off - guess I'll have to plug the coffee pot in in the garage, back out the Landlord and raise that seat, put the lawn chair beside it and spends some time contemplating why it's acting as though I have 1/2" too much belt! If I get it, I'll pass along what I learn...Jay M

Could the pulley on the 48" deck the former owner installed be a different diameter than the pulley that is on the correct 48" deck that your belt is for..? Do you have a deck number..?

Dutch, I think you just posed a critical question. I don't have the deck number here, but will try to either find it on the deck or measure the pulley that's on it . . .then go from there. Thanks for suggesting the question. Jay

See if the cent. pulley on the deck has been changed.It's suppposed to be approx.6 - 7 in in dia.The proper Sim belt is best to use.Also check to see that the arbor belt isn't the one slipping due to a frozen idler pulley bushing.When you figure out what length to use I have a length and part # chart.

This might sound too simple, but make sure the fixed "idler" pulley beneath the PTO hasn't slipped. I replaced the cup on the PTO of my 7119 years ago thinking that the PTO was slipping (after installing a new Simp. belt and still finding the blades slowing in tall grass). The idler had slipped and simply was not putting the PTO belt under enough tension. Made the adjustment and I haven't replaced the PTO belt for 4 years (of HEAVY mowing). I have found on my Simplicity's that sometimes a perplexing problem is pretty . . well . . . simple. Tim

I also have a 7016 with a 48 inch deck and the dealer sold me # 163011 and it is too loose. I will measure my input pully wheel today!