Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DanD

2000 Sovereign

DanD
I found a 2000 Sovereign today for $1500. It has power lift and power steering and a 48" deck. It started right up after sitting outside for a couple months and drove and ran very good. However I believe it has the Triad engine with the bad reputation. Are those engines really that bad? I just couldn't help myself from buying this tractor. It doesn't have an hour meter, but there is no paint worn off the running boards from the operator's feet or any other place on the tractor. On my 7016, the paint is worn clear through down to shiny steel where your fingers rest on the hood when you're running the hydro lever! Everything is so nice and tight on the deck, the steering, etc, I just couldn't help myself. WIll I be disappointed with this tractor because of the engine? My old Sovereign has the 326431 Briggs which I rebuilt a few years back. I know repowers are available. Also, can anyone tell me the part number or mfg. number of the snowblower hitch I need to mount my 42" snowblower on this newer Sovereign, versus my old one with the front PTO? Thanks in advance. Power steering sure will be nice with the snowblower...as long as the engine runs.

PhanDad
Congrats on the find. If the engine is past infant mortality and well maintained, the Triad can last a long time. Al Eden has written some posts about the engine and a cooling air modification that helps with life. As far as the hitch, your need a mfg #1690557 single pulley hitch. I believe Burntime makes them and might have one for sale.

hotrodtractor
When I asked Al Eden and many on here they said use it till it blows. Al said he had a shop guy with over 900 hrs on one. Personally I did not want to get stuck with a blown engine or one that needed parts (as they will or are NLA). What I do is buy another machine with a command and swap them then sell that one with the triad. Well that's what I did with my machines. Think about it what's a new engine going to cost you $1500 to $2200 you can buy a whole tractor for that. What would your machine be worth if the triad was blown.... think about that. Dump the engine before your stuck with it my 2cents.

hotrodtractor
by the way the reason I say that is the 2000 I bought was on it's 2nd triad and both blew holes in side of block bought for $50 w/ blow triad. There are so few good examples of people having good luck witht he triad I avoid them. Sucks cause it seems more of the new 97+ models had the pwr steering.

captainweezy
Like Kevin(hotrodtractor)said, find another tractor with a good motor to swap. You will be money ahead. Sometimes it takes a little while to resell the parts/tractors/implements but much cheaper that way. last spring I bought a 7010 landlord with plow blade, deck and cab. I didn't want or need the tractor, deck or plow but I wanted the cab. Long story short I had to buy it all just for the cab. Sold the deck and plow. Donated the tractor to the high school small engines class and I still came out ahead. I am wanting a power steering model myself so I know what you mean by "I just couldn't help myself"

jmhusby
Question for all - How long did they build the Sovereign? I had a 1999 Landlord Deluxe and the dealer told me this was the replacement for the Sovereign. Tractor had power assist steering and was better than nothing but not as quick as full-time on the Prestige. Some day when I'm rich and famous going to find another one, put a cab on it and make a dedicated snow machine. For now I'll have to stay with the Sunstar and hoping to find a cab for it. Hate that fine snow blowing on me on a windy day!8D

RayS
quote:
Originally posted by jmhusby
Question for all - How long did they build the Sovereign? I had a 1999 Landlord Deluxe and the dealer told me this was the replacement for the Sovereign. Tractor had power assist steering and was better than nothing but not as quick as full-time on the Prestige. Some day when I'm rich and famous going to find another one, put a cab on it and make a dedicated snow machine. For now I'll have to stay with the Sunstar and hoping to find a cab for it. Hate that fine snow blowing on me on a windy day!8D
They started the Sovereign in 1968 and called it that off an on up till its demise in 2000 or 2001. Check out the link below it shows them by the years they were made. http://simpletractors.com/Main/simplicity.htm

hotrodtractor
yes I heard or read somewhere that kohler took a off approach with the triad, they made it so that it could replace the vanguard (hence the low air filter to keep it short). The idea was they could make the triad cheap and it could be a repower for bad vanguards. Too bad it went the other way :( Supposed to have same foot print I would not be surprised if the exhaust was the same. Have thought about a repower with one a lot, but really want to keep it OEM.

captainweezy
Not bad Dan, I just went through some of my emails and found a craigslist ad that I emailed to myself that I lost out on a few months back. I sure am kicking myself in the rear for missing it:(!. Here it is.. Simplicity Sovereign with Power Steering, Hydro-static transmission, 48" Mower deck and 2 sets of blades, 42" Snowblower, 42" Blade, Wheel weights, Chains, Rear lift for tiller but no tiller. Runs great. Recently serviced. Some cosmetic blemishes. $1500! I could have dealt with "some cosmetic blemishes".

305SS
Dan I have one of these tractors that I bought brand new back then it did not have it`s bad rep, I do like how quiet it is and it has good power. What I make of the problem is it is heat related from chaff and oil leaking on the block from the valve covers which are plastic. If they leak take them off and clean them up and seal them up with silicone, give time to let it dry before you run the engine. Oil pools up in the valve cover this is normal.Kohler said so.If the oil gets on the engine that's were the chaff sticks to and starts to builds up. You got a fair price on the tractor and i think you will like it. Got 170HRS and counting. I payed four times what you payed. I do love my Simplicitys and my allises to. Good luck and enjoy.

Burntime
Captain, don't feel bad, I talked to the guy and he told me after a few minutes on the phone that "the motor always has burned about a quarter quart cutting the half acre lot" Yep, a lot of money for a fogger!

hotrodtractor
wow Mike I talked to that guy too. The attachments were rough and the drive was far. I think he had it up a year or so before that for $2500 guess the engine issues got worse over tiime.... everything happens for a reason I always say. Glad none of use got stuck with it. But seemed a good price for one with pwr steering and a command.

hotrodtractor
guess with so many of us in a simlilar area we end up finding the same machines.... after my new buy today I might stop buying and let you guys get all the deals :)

johnmonkey
Looks real similar to mine. It even still has paint under the mower deck. Mine has a blown BGB, but it came with a brand new leaf vac and trailer. All for $700.00

DanD
quote:
Originally posted by 305SS
Dan I have one of these tractors that I bought brand new back then it did not have it`s bad rep, I do like how quiet it is and it has good power. What I make of the problem is it is heat related from chaff and oil leaking on the block from the valve covers which are plastic. If they leak take them off and clean them up and seal them up with silicone, give time to let it dry before you run the engine. Oil pools up in the valve cover this is normal.Kohler said so.If the oil gets on the engine that's were the chaff sticks to and starts to builds up. You got a fair price on the tractor and i think you will like it. Got 170HRS and counting. I payed four times what you payed. I do love my Simplicitys and my allises to. Good luck and enjoy.
So you're saying that it's better to seal the valve covers with silicone rather than using the gaskets? I'm asking because I took mine apart tonight. There was a little bit of oil on the cooling fins, but absolutely no dirt. However, since I like to tinker and it's neither mowing or blowing season at the moment, I took the valve covers off tonight in hopes of making a leakproof seal. Anyone else have an opinion of gasket vs. silicone for the valve covers? Thanks again in advance!

Mike
I think some guys also suggest an electric fuel pump modification. Also opening up the air cleaner. Here is a picture of mine, I added the lugs(found a set with silver rims for 75.00), an hour meterand new ebay armrests and of course the Mikey Bucket. Have 6 hours on it so far, bought it new in the crate a few years ago for 1K. My deck has never been used, so all the paint is still there, I actually waxed the underside of it.
[img]/club2/attach/Mike/mini-trac 010.JPG[/img]

305SS
No Dan use gaskets for sure and just give it time to cure. Hey with all the know how on the site you will probably keep it alive for ever. If Alan offers advice listen. Back in May I ask about this engine, it started a wild fire. Search for in the archives under TH18 ohc Kohler. By the way THAT is a very nice tractor!

DanD
Thank you everybody for all of your responses to this topic. I just want to review and clarify. So, 305SS, what you're saying is that the best seal onthe valve cover will be with using the paper gaskets with silicone on both sides of the gasket. And Roy, is there a good place to hook the pulse pump to the crankcase to get it to work? Thanks again.

Roy
"is there a good place to hook the pulse pump to the crankcase to get it to work?" Don't know for the OHC engine. I know there is a tapped hole in the crankcase for a pulse pump on the OHV engines. Maybe someone else can help here.