Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

got the snow cab started, update, its done!

steve-wis

Finally got started on the project that was supposed to be done last year.....time sure flies. Will post more pics as it progresses. Frame is 1/8 X 3/4 X 3/4 angle iron. I figure I will have about $300 into it when done, not counting the $500.00 worth of tools I bought for the job (wire feed welder, torches, sawsall, angle grinder, and a few odds and ends). It will be covered on the sides with heavy vinyl that is used to make awnings. The top is a 1/4 inch maple plywoood pc. painted black. It will be all black, and hopefully a few A/C emblems on it. Also hoping to mount a pair of headlights on the front corners, and a windshield wiper is in the works too. The whole thing will attach with four 1/4 inch nuts at the four corners. The front and back panels are hinged so they will swing out of the way to access engine and battery. The door and front and back panels are also all removeable so it won't weigh much to lift on and off. Steve

Steve Here is the latch assembly, and a few of the cab on the tractor. Later today will finish painting the frame and start to mount the vinyl. Had a small setback on the windows, the guy who I was going to have make them up for me is involved with the bomb builder who was arrested here in Oshkosh a couple of days ago (I think it is his brother) so can't get hold of him. Might go to another shop here in town next week.

Hopefully the next pics will have vinyl and windows assembled. Steve Well, almost done. Got the vinyl sides on and three of the four windows, but I misfigured on the clear vinyl and need to go buy one more piece for the door window. Also need to get headlights to mount on it yet. I am not happy with how the edges of the clear vinyl windows look at all, will be either redoing it next spring, or making some black cover strips to hide the amateur tracks I left on them. Here are the pics up till now.....

Will post the last of the pics once the last window and the lights are on. Steve Well, it is done except to hang the wires for the new lights up and out of the way. In the pics you can see how I had to modify the chute rotator shaft to get it inside of the cab where it belongs and also shortened it. I made an adaptor with set screws to hook it back together into one pc. after I cut out about 7 inches. I had to heat and bend the arm that supports the shaft, and also drill a new hole lower in the arm for the support. Also a pic of the home made wheel weights, about 60 lbs per tire, made from old barbell weights. The lights are from harbor freight, 55 watts each. They give plenty of light when the tractor is running at blower speed. In the pic the tractor is idling, so they are a bit dim. So now I can say........bring on the snow!!! Steve

Looks great! When can ya start on mine? 7100 series. Would like wipers, heat and a stereo. Dont need a disc changer, just a single player, DVD capable, but would like the drop down LCD screen, a Garmin in case I get lost in my driveway, and bluetooth capable in case I have to be distracted while I blow the snow. :o)

Wow Brett, I thought I had high expectations! Really don't have time to do anyone elses, but in place of all the sound equipment, I could call and whistle a bit of the old Andy Griffith show theme song! Steve

Beautiful work! With Vinyl sides, what are you going to use for windows? Flexible clear for the sides and glass for the windshield? How do you plan on attaching the vinyl? Sewing, snaps, Duct Tape? sm00 Oh, don't forget the Coffee (or Beer) holder!

The vinyl will be glued to the frame with silicone rubber adhesive, and then screws every 6 inches or so all around. The windows will all be hard, either glass or plexiglass. I am going to the local glass shop tomorrow after work to talk it over and see what he can do. I am thinking of a flush mount nail strip all around the glass and then screwing it onto the frame. Tonight I am making the door latch assembly. More pics this weekend, I am guessing. Oh, and Brett, NO!!!!, no defrostors!!sm01 Steve

quote:
Oh, and Brett, NO!!!!, no defrostors!!
Hmmm. Guess I'll just have to go over some night and unbolt Maynard's..........

Jim, I like the welding cart, bought it at Harbor Freight when they were on sale. The welder is a Century 100 amp, 120 volt wire welder with gas. I bought it used down in Milwaukee a while ago and am kind of teaching myself how to weld with it while I build the cab. Steve

Alright. I don't need the stereo and the heater, Steve. But the wipers are kinda a must. Oh. And I'll need two now, the 7118 is done. :D Seriously though, great work!

• 2 weeks later...
Nice work Steve, A bomb builder's brother eh???? I'll leave that one alone. Just remember one rule of thumb about using a wire welder. You know you're doing ok when you catch a good buzz. Ok Ok, you want to hear a buzzing sound from the arc. if there's popping or a ball forming at the nose of the gun, that's when it's time to make your adjustments. Go slow and take your time. And make sure your arms are in a relaxed and comfortable position throughout the entire weld.

Actually, a bomb builders cousin, and I decided to leave that alone too, Tim. Went with soft vinyl windows instead, at least for now. Easier, and cheaper too. Will see how I like them thru the winter and go from there. I actually got half way decent with the welder just about the time the project was done. Steve

I would actually stay with the soft vinyl, why???? With plexiglas or Lexan, in the cold with the frame flexing a little, the windows will stress crack if there's holes drilled and the windows are bolted on. If you find a way to rubber mount the windshield, like with a rubber seal, that would be the way to go. As for creature comforts, a fan and a small hand operated winshield wiper will greatly help your visibility.

Tim, Will a wiper work on the soft vinyl? I have never seen one with a wiper that I can remember. As far as creature comforts go, a nice lazy boy and a fireplace would be nice, but I don't want to get too fancy, so I guess a heavy coat and a well padded backside will have to do! Steve

I would only mount a wiper if you were going to go with a plexiglass windshield. Just remember to stay away from ammonia based cleaners for any type of clear plastic. Question,,,,, How long does it take you to clear your driveway???? If you plan on being in there for say 45minutes+, then I would guess that the insides of the windows would get fogged up. A fan would keep things clear for you.

Tim, Usually just about half hour or a bit more depending on the amount of snow and how much sidewalk I want to play on. The cab is open all around the bottom so should get enough fresh air to keep it clear, but if now, I will be forced to stop for a couple of minutes and have a cup of coffee while it dries out. I CAN make that sacrifice if I have to! Steve

Nice work Steve! On my set-up the front window is solid so I can use a wiper and the rest is soft - The only time it fogs up (usually the front) is when I get in and my cloths are wet from shoveling so I keep a rag with me....otherwise after 10-15 minutes the inside gets (warm-ish) enough from the engine heat - Chris