Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Kenzen

Traction Optimization via Weight Distribution

Kenzen
Thought this would be of interest to this community. I stumbled across it researching (needed) traction gains for my DA917H. http://extension.missouri.edu/publications/DisplayPub.aspx?P=G1235 I hope this starts some dialog and data presentation on what the base weight distributions are for our tractors, and how we practically shift the distro for given attachments and other factors. Ken

mohrds
That is an excellent article. I wish they would have dealt with front mounted implements a little, but that would certainly complicate the formulas quite a bit. For example, with a front mounted plow, there would be a variable as to whether the force center is above the front axle or below. For us, that will generally be below the axle, causing a pivot under load trying to raise the back of the tractor and increasing rear slippage. If the force was relocated to above the front axle, the pivot would shift to the rear and tend to lift the front wheels under load causing loss of steering control. Then you have to look at the yaw and pitch of the plow itself relative to the mount. It gets real complicated, real fast.

Kenzen
Do we have stock baseline weight distribution data for our tractors published anywhere? I might have to dig up my statics and dynamics book...4i Ken

PhanDad
I had the jack out putting the ags on my 75th, so I HAD to collect the following data. Why?? Because engineers love data. LF - 147# RF - 147# Front Total = 294# ==> 44% LR - 183# RR - 196# Rear Total = 379# ==> 56% Total = 673# The weights are for tractor only with almost full fuel; no wheel weights, deck, etc. Only problem is I'm too old to remember what to do with the data. :O Some of you young whipper-snappers can figure out what to do and report back. ;)