Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
hotrodtractor

Sovereign deck mod for VAC system (anti blow out)

hotrodtractor
I have thought about using a anit blow kit on my soveriegn 48" deck to help with the spit out and crap that blows out when using a vacuum system. 1686691SM called anti blow out kit http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=101081 is what I had in mind. It's fairly cheap under $100 and I think I could make it work on the 48" deck. Any thoughtsa or solutions you guys have for the mess made when using a vac system. Kevin

PhanDad
I've found on "full height" grass, the blowout isn't too bad; there are more issues with the engine exhaust blowing the leaves away from where you want them. But on "low" height grass, or bare ground/paved areas, blowout is definitely a problem. Some members have added rubber that extends down the front of the deck. Helps with the bare ground issue, but in regular grass the leaves can be "plowed" forward and eventfully forced to the side. The kit in reference post is for the newer style shallow decks. I think it's part of the mulching kit for these decks. I guess it could be bent to fit the old Sovereign deep decks. Don't remember anyone posting about adding this baffle to a Sovereign deck. It looks similar to the old "leaf mulcher" kit #990284 for the '60's 42" decks.

GregB
My father in-law made one for his 7116. He made me one, but he used his 48"deck as a pattern, and it would not fit the 42" deck I run. I think he copied the idea from his original Simplicity. He just used light gauge steel bent to fit. I guess it works by keeping the stuff airborne up in the deck. I plan on making one for myself, but its down farther on the list.

Willy
The one I have with my Big-10 is made of sheet metal bent at 45 deg and fits flush with the front opening of the deck. The lower bent is about in inch. It keeps the leaves and grass suspended and not much blow out. I made a couple out of and old square furnace duct and bent them in a vice worked out ok.

hotrodtractor
Impressive you guys seem to take a different approach that is make it rather than buy it. Guess I have more money that time these days. Great ideas I appreciate it. I think I might order it and give her a try.

hotrodtractor
I have some bare spots (no grass just dirt) near the woods that cause dust and crap to fly everywhere when I vac the leaves there. Having countless holes in the deck (oem design) does not help much.