Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Modifier1

Lift Arm for Snowblower

Modifier1
I was just putting the finishing touches on my snowblower conversion on my 716H and after a little test drive to see how things worked I realized that my lift arm did not have a spring assembly on it. I guess I was to excited when I found the blower that I did not think about the lift arm. Right now it is just a rod with 90 degree ends on it. Can an end be cut off and a spring assembly made up for it?What size spring should be set up on it? Or should I just find a used lift rod w/spring? Thanks

Burntime
I have never made one, can't be all that tough. Just a bent rod, 2 colors with a lift point, and a spring. Try parts tree for your unit and they should have the parts listed. If you have concrete and any lips on it I would think you would do the blower in pretty quick!

Burntime
Ron, I did it once when the collar was not tight and slipped as I was going full speed up the front hill of my property. It dug into the soft ground and the only thing that stopped me from going over was where my hips and legs meet. Your right. One ride was enough for me!

UCD
The spring will not prevent quick stops if you hit something solid (guess how I know) but it will help the blower follow the contour of the ground and put some down pressure on the blower.

PhanDad
The FDT blowers had solid lift arms. I believe this was OK since with the armstrong lifts the tractor lift arm would float and allow the blower or plow to follow the ground. When I used the blower on my B-110, I remember watching the armstrong handle move up and down while blowing snow as the blower head followed the contour of my hilly driveway. With RBT tractors and electric or hydraulic lifts, there is no float in the tractor lift arm, hence the spring setup on RBTs. As Maynard states, it allows float. Anyway, the parts are still available from Simplicity. Bad news is the "guide assembly" is very expensive (part #171679, $34.88 @Jack's). The spring and collars aren't too bad (spring part #171011, $14.10 and set collars part #8031007, $7.90). An issue might be the length of the lift rod, I think the FDT lift arm is shorter than the RBT rod.

Modifier1
Thanks guys for all the input. This is my first tractor and all the knowledge that comes off the Simple tractors web site from all of you is very helpful. I won't forget the info about what can happen if the tractor stops suddenly:O. I did find the correct lift arm so I am good now. Should be ready for the snow.