Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Barefoot or ...

PhanDad

Chained Up?

I started getting the 75th ready for winter today. I now have 2 pairs of ags since a pair came with the 75th. Always ran turfs with chains on the blower tractor and the ags (no chains) on the blade tractor. So this year I can run ags on both. Even though the ags are both 10.50 x 23's, they are different. The original pair are Carlisle while the ones that came on the 75th are Titan AT's. The AT's are a little smaller. I decided to run the smaller ones on the blade tractor. Good choice? I've been satisfied with the performance of the blade tractor on my hilly driveway, so I'm hoping I won't need chains on the blower tractor. Just in case, I fitted the chains to the ags today; definitely a much harder installation job. I run about 130 #s of wheel weights and can add another 75 #s with a stinger weight. My concern is traction with the blower raised, I drive back up the driveway in that configuration after a clearing pass. That's always been the biggest challenge. Do you think I stand a chance without chains? Or should I give it up now and chainup before I even try?

I would really like to hear the answers on this. I know that my chains and turf tires are fine, until I get the "sealed" asphalt driveways, and then the chains are a detriment. I hear the ags are the way to go, and I just looked at a set of ATV tires that might work like a set of ags. Would love to help the neighbors out, but their driveway is so steep that I end up spinning wheels. With the chains it can mark up the asphalt, and this fall they sealed (read: painted) the driveway. I wouldn't be afraid with a set of ags, but no on the chains. To my way of thinking, and maybe I am wrong, but chains help in the deep snow, gravel, or a soft surface, but don't ad as much on hard smooth surfaces.

I never run chain on my blower or blade tractor unless it get icey,I loaded my tires but don't use weights. I don't have the grade to worry about it's mostly flat.

I have a curving Blacktop driveway over 1/8 mile long down hill from the house. I have tried both ag and chains on both the plow tractor and the snowblower tractor. Results: Snowblower needs chains. Plow tractor works Ok with Ags, but works better with chains. I do not recommend chains on Ag tires...rough ride and the chains get down between the lugs and makes the tires hardly any better than Ags with no chains. BTW on hard pack snow on blacktop, Ags do work better than turf tires without chains.

Has anybody tried ATV tires? They look to have an aggressive tread similar to the "Sno Hogs" on walk behinds. My first WB had chains and my latest WB has Has Sno Hogs and to date no complaints.

My gravel driveway always gets icy spots at some point, and in my experience only chains or studs work well on ice, both of which will damage asphalt sooner or later.

I have always used chains on the blacktop. Need them to get from the shop to the driveway out front. Have 160 lbs on the back. Maybe if the tires were loaded and had the tires with good tread, can't remember what they are called now but they seem to be fairly good in snow. What I really need is a legacey 4 X 4 with the glass cab and a heater with AM/FM cd radio and I would be all set!!!sm06sm06sm06

Bill, You have seen my hills, I run Turf tires for both the plow tractor and the Blower tractor. 716-6spd with HD plow, 23-8.50-12's with the flat rubber strap "chains". 50lb wheel weights/side , Front wheel weigths, and 150lbs of suitcase weights off the back. 719H with 42" blower, cab, 50 lb wheel weights/ side, Front wheel weights, 2 Wheelhorse Tombstone weights (100lbs?) off the back. Run regular 2 link chains on this one. For me it seems to work better than the Chen Shin 8.50 lugs on the B-10, they are OK in the deep stuff for the first pass, but seem to spin out, on my cleared and packed hills dragging the fire wood trailer. My profile picture shows the Jonny Bucket on with them in the snow, OK on the flat but not much on the hill.

quote:
Originally posted by BLT
Has anybody tried ATV tires? They look to have an aggressive tread similar to the "Sno Hogs" on walk behinds. My first WB had chains and my latest WB has Has Sno Hogs and to date no complaints.
I haven't, but I'm certainly contemplating it. I have a pair of 25x10x12s sitting in the barn. I want to try them on the HB-216, which currently has loaded Deestone lugs on it -- which I do NOT like. The lugs are too narrow and too short to be of much use in either loose dirt or snow -- the space between the lugs fills up too easily. Not sure if they'll fit under the fenders, but the 16HP Briggs certainly should have enough power to turn them fine... One caution -- most ATV tires are only load-rated for about 450-500 lbs, if that's an issue.

Given my area (Western Maine) and the hills on my driveway I run chains on both by blower and plow tractors. In the past I could not get up my driveway with the blower, weights, and Ag tires. I needed chains. Yes it does scratch the driveway, but there is no other way to clear the driveway. I do try and minimize fast stops and starts. Plus when climbing the hill I watch the tire speed to stop as soon as the tires start to spin. One year I had a long scrape all the way up the hill causing by a spinning tire. That said this will be the first year I will be using my Legacy, but I still plan to run chains. Better a scratched but cleared driveway then two stuck cars since I can't remove the snow. Rick.....

ATV tires all the way. Not as much grip as chains, but I like them better than Ag's. I ran filled turf tires, filled turf tires with chains, and ATV tires last year and stayed with the ATV tires. Not as rough of a ride, but still gets good enough traction. They will spin on ice and slushy snow, but gets enough bite to keep the tractor moving. I also don't run any fluid or extra weight with the ATV tires and have no problems, but then again I have a fairly flat driveway. I have used the ATV tires to go through 3-4 inches of snow on my 6211 with no problems. Now they reside on my Landlord DLX through the winter.

This will be my 1st year running both the soveriegns. My driveway is very very steep black top . My old cub cadet 1862 would not make it w/o chains, 200lbs suitcase weights and 200lbs of wheel weights. After all that she did very well. I plan to run loaded AG's on the blower tractor + double weights + stinger Plow machine is to be 2 link chains on turfs and stinger I predict traction issues on both. Seems like most of you go the AG route on the plow machine... probably due to nature of plowing (slip)

I have 26x12x12 AGs, 23x10.5x12 AGs, and 25x10x12 ATV AGs. I have never used or even needed chains on any of them. Turf tires will not even move one of my tractors in the snow without chains. After 20+ years of garden tractor pulling, I do understand how traction tires work. The ATV tires are absolutely the best. You want a tire with very soft sidewalls and stiff lugs to bite effectively on both snow and ice. My two cents worth, use accordingly.