Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BDSchmidt

Kohler Command not starting

BDSchmidt
Hello all...I haven't posted in a very long time but I now have a problem and thought I should get my dues worth of info... I have a Allis 917 H with Al Edens repower kit that has been in place for a couple years. Everything had been working just fine when I installed that a couple years ago . This tractor was last run in late April of this year and again, everything was fine. I went to start it this week, ( fresh fuel, well charged battery,etc) and all I heard was solenoid clicking .Since I have 7 similar type tractors, I had a spare solenoid but the same thing happens, I also tried a different ignition switch but to no avail. When I connect the 2 posts on the solenoid, the engine turns over vigorously but I didn't even get a pop out of it. With the air cleaner off I could see fuel coming into the carb. I did not as of yet take out a spark plug and check for actual spark. At this point What should I be checking ? Thank You!

UCD
Clean your battery connections and all electrical connections to solenoid including grounds. You have a bad connection or high resistance to ground.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by BDSchmidt
I have a Allis 917 H with Al Edens repower kit that has been in place for a couple years. Everything had been working just fine when I installed that a couple years ago. At this point What should I be checking ? Thank You!
When you installed the engine, more then likely you also wired up this, http://www.repowereng.com/uk-1__uni-kit.htm . Make sure that cube is functioning, if not disconnect the ground wire to engine mag and then try starting it. If engine starts check for loose connections on power side of the cube portion.

sbull78
just had the same problem with my ummmm...green thing...it was a loose battery connection...i checked everything over and of course...that was last...:D

comet66
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
Clean your battery connections and all electrical connections to solenoid including grounds. You have a bad connection or high resistance to ground.
+1 My Kohlers will do just exactly that when the battery connections get dirty. They want full voltage to function properly.

BDSchmidt
Well I took all suggestions and went to town starting with taking out a plug...good spark,and good cranking but again, only when I bypassed the solenoid. Checked and rechecked all connections including battery cables . Now when I tried the switch, I didn't even get the solenoid click. Went back to saftey switches and bypassed both....same, no solenoid click ,no starter turn, but now I was hearing/feeling a click in the "cube" relay that came with the kit. As I progressed nothing remained consistent . I reached a point where even connecting the solenoid posts did not result in the starter turning over which in the beginning it would do. The "other key switch" I tried was not a new one but one that I had in my parts stash. So, I went and put in a brand new switch and voila' everything is back to normal, starting right up, etc. I don't know if the switch was the sole culprit or was just a player in a combination of things but I'm up and running again...back to the leaves!

dentwizz
L/G grade key switches are pretty bad for getting dirty and only run a low voltage/current. Sometimes you can save them by squirting contact cleaner into the key hole and sloshing it around while turning the key(while its all off the chassis of course.) I have to do that on MTD's all the time in my side shop.