Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
Simplicity_728

Carb Question

Simplicity_728
Ever since the temperature go into the upper 40s the carb started leaking between the float bowl and carb body. 50 degrees and above its fine. anything below 50 and it leaks

ACsam
Carb kit (bowl gasket if nothing else), but a new one doesn't hurt. As it gets colder, older gaskets contract. It could also have something to do with an old needle seat. I would just put a new kit in.

ACsam
quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
I'd rather go back to mowing all year8D Living in the tropics is nice:D Check for tightness too.
Wisconsin seasons are so fun though! Cold, COlder, Construction... :D

John_RI
It may have nothing to do with temp or the gasket. I don't think that the fuel level should be up to the gasket level if things inside are adjusted to proper levels.

Simplicity_728
I checked the gasket between the bowl and carb body and it looks ok. I repalced the gasket under the bowl nut/main jet needle and it stopped dripping for a day and then started again.

ACsam
quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity_728
I checked the gasket between the bowl and carb body and it looks ok. I repalced the gasket under the bowl nut/main jet needle and it stopped dripping for a day and then started again.
Try the needle seat

Brettw
I think if you were to ask, many of the guys here have a fuel shutoff installed ($5.00 at NAPA, two $0.45 clamps and 5 minutes of work)and use them whenever the tractor is going to sit idle. I have had both Briggs and Kohler leak just sitting there. A carb rebuild is the way to go, but the shutoff is not a bad idea either way. If nothing else, it's great to have installed if you do have to do any carb or engine work that requires disconnecting the fuel line. I even installed one on the new repower I just did. It doesn't leak at all, but it is part of the equation on all of the tractors I have or have had.

HubbardRA
Some of the updraft carbs just have a slow leak. Even if you rebuild them, they will still leak. Easiest way to cure the problem is to install the shutoff valve. I run shutoff valves on all of my tractors. I have one that only leaks when it takes a notion to do it. Sometimes it will leak all the fuel out, sometimes it doesn't leak a drop. A valve solved the problem.