Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
joemick

E3 caused run problem

joemick
Simp mod450 snowblower. Put a E3 plug on last Feb and used 2 times and noticed a loss of power during lst use last use. This past week spent lot of time w/hard start and then sputter and die. Took out E3 plug, put in a Champion and the old boy jumped alive and strong. Since read about controversy with the E3..no longer interested.

dentwizz
E3 plugs are something to take with caution. There are two aspects to consider, heat range and element design. I have used them with decent results, but beware that the heat range is different than the champion part number in some cases physically. This may produce a desired result if you have an oil burner(as I do) or it can overheat the plug. In the end if you have a plug of a reccomended size and heat range, don't deviate from it unless it is in a careful manner.

JimH
Was running an E3 in my '64 Landlord for awhile. Tractor was hard starting after awhile. My tractor smokes a little at start-up but still has good compression. May possibly have contributed to the hard start. I ended up going back to an Autolite 216 plug. I have been happy with the Autolite's.