Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
midnightpumpkin

3 pc mower deck idler pulley

midnightpumpkin
Has any of our club members done a writeup on adding a later style spring loaded idler pulley assy to a 3 peice deck as was on the 700/725 series? I have searched an come up short. The question would be where to locate the mounting holes for the spring loaded idler arm. John U

MrSteele
I have been wondering the same thing for a couple of years. I tried a year or so ago to find the parts, but all my Simplicity dealer could come up with was the spring dead man. I am going to come up with something this winter, to make it work, and will post what finally worked for me.

dentwizz
I converted my 64LL's deck from bolt-slot idler to springloaded like 990501 last year from a rusted out deck. The difference is not as remarkable as you might think. I even added a harder spring to help engage harder. In the performance end of things, the noise is higher from the belt vibration(small noise) but mainly the belt seems to slip a little easier when objects or super thick grass is hit. All in all, I preferred the performance of the bolt/slot method other than the frequent re-adjustment required of it. Perhaps this observation is not shared, but that is what I found. I still have it on and use it since I don't have to do much to it at least.