Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Good paint for muffler?

OrangeMetalGuy

I would like to get some good solid hi temp paint on this muffler, to make the engine look lot better:

Is there something that will really stick and stay on there (and not burn off)?

That's a tricky thing. I have found Rustoleum's BBQ paint and Duplicolor's Engine series to both adhere and last against normal duty, but the first time it gets in the rain the rust pops through like orange paint. Not sure if there is a fix for that or not.

This is the show tractor, it never gets wet. If it gets any dust on it I use Meguiar's spray detailer on a rag (yeah, I'm obsessed with this one).

Make sure you get the brush on version. The extra thickness helps seal it since all it takes to cure is turn the engine on:D

Yeah that is what I was thinking. I am also going to check the POR-15 site to see what they have. I really like their stuff.

I bought some Valspar grill paint and I liked it. I painted some wheel weights and the rear weight for my Serf and then I baked the parts on my gas grill for an hour or so. I let the parts sit overnight and the paint was dried and cured and cool enough to grab and mount to the tractor. It's a bad idea to cure parts in the kitchen oven.

My dad used the POR-15 exhaust manifold paint on his Corvettes. It made them look like brand new and lasted for a long time.

I have no barn, but a curing oven would be nice:D:D If it's a show tractor, I would send my parts to a place like this, http://www.classiccoatings.com/ceramic.html

If it's a show tractor, I'd buy a new muffler, but if you want to just make that one look better, have it jetcoated. A small part like that won't be expensive. I've had headers jetcoated and nothing will ever happen to the finish on your muffler. The small engine will never get hot enough to effect the coating.