Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
JohnMBerst

Windows!

JohnMBerst
OK working of finishing transfer from summer to winter. Have the cab mounted on the tractor, and have the blower to mount yet. But in cleaning the cab, want to clean the plastic windows. Use Windex which got a lot of the dirt and grime, but want to perhaps improve and protect the clean plastic. What have you used that worked well. Thinking of perhaps Armour All, or Rain X to help keep the snow / water off the plastic. Looking forward to keeping this a good number of years. Thanks in advance for your input.sm01

timflury
DO NOT USE AMMONIA BASED CLEANERS ON PLASTIC!!! Go to your local motorcycle shop and ask what is best for cleaning windshields. There are non-ammonia based products that will clean the plastic and allow it to las a long time. You shouldn't need any sort of protectants if the plastic is cleaned with the proper cleaner. The ammonia will discolor and harden the plastic over time. I found this, http://www.plexusplasticcleaner.com/about.html

dentwizz
X2 on that. DON'T USE ARMORALL or RainX normal either. Depending on the plastic it can yellow the surface. Dishwashing soap and a microfiber rag work well if you are just getting general dirt off. I believe there is a plastic safe RainX variation for goggles and such. If that is unattainable, conventional Carnauba wax is good to protect with.

Burntime
Farm and fleet has the stuff I posted. I know, I keep losing the bottle and have bought 2...yep, its gone again??? I think the wife is putting it in the alfredo:D

RUMBLEFISH
If you have any marine supply house in the area ask them what to use for the plastic windows. Or order from any online marine supply house something like this http://www.amazon.com/303-Aerospace-Protectant-8-oz/dp/B002A1ZGYC/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1288701884&sr=8-13. I have used this product and it works great on the windows. Like others have said never used amonia or 409 type stuff.

hotrodtractor
yes just like soap and water and then buff with plastic polish meguiars or mothers worked good for me... but I just like a excuse to use the makita buffer

JohnMBerst
Used the advise given, and got some cleaner / wax for plastic. Works great and thanks to all for your input. Found some Mequires which works very well. Have to finish the inside, but sure is a better view now. Thanks again!