Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
josh7598

Hydrostatic Transmission for 712

josh7598
Where can I get mine rebuilt or can you buy a replacement. Tried changing fluid and filter, however still slow in forward but works fine in reverse.

Ronald Hribar
did you try adjusting linkage ? You will be amazed on how that affects the performance of the hydro Unfortunately i can not tell you how to do it

goatfarmer
Also, make sure both freewheeling valves, under the seat, are fully in the "up" position. I had a 7016 that acted this way, one valve was stuck down.

powermax_paul
With a few replacement parts from Sandy Lake I rebuilt my own on one of my Powermax tractors. It mostly involved just lapping the valve plates in the motor and pump. I don't know if the 712 uses a variable displacement piston pump/motor or not. Whatever you do, you have to do it in a very clean environment. One little piece of grit in the unit can cause major damage.

OrangeMetalGuy
Yeah that definitely sounds linkage-related to me. If it runs fine in reverse that tells me the Sunstrand has plenty of pressure. One thing you can do is jack it up and unhook the linkage, then move the control arm back and forth with the engine running (use a screwdriver to keep your hands away from moving parts). I'd bet it moves just as well one way as the other.