Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BLT

Sunstar question on start circuit.

BLT
Have any of you Sunstar owners had a problem with the three micro-switches that make up the neutral start circuit path for starting the engine. I have done the step by step procedure, for mine, on the interlock module and the the finding is leading to this. Before I tackle the instrument panel removal, I thought I would look for suggestions first. Thanks BLT

BLT
Ended up being bad ignition switch. Schroeder Implement a local Simplicity dealer in our area helped with the diagnosis. Good people.

stevenj
Mine gave me trouble last winter. One of the switches was not making contact. I was able to reach up and bend one of the switch levers slightly so that it would make switch contact when the hydro lever was in the neutral position. The switch worked, it just wasn't making contact. I didn't have to disassemble anything more than the side panel. Good thing too, since the steering wheel is stuck tight to the shaft.

HubbardRA
Bob, If all else fails, eliminate the interlock module and wire it up like a large frame with the switches in series in the starter circuit. You could also just eliminate the whole set of lockout switches and wire the start circuit direct as I have on all of my large frames.

BLT
quote:
Originally posted by HubbardRA
Bob, If all else fails, eliminate the interlock module and wire it up like a large frame with the switches in series in the starter circuit. You could also just eliminate the whole set of lockout switches and wire the start circuit direct as I have on all of my large frames.
Rod, I gave that a lot of consideration, but what you see sitting in my lap http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/BLT/Bonding3.jpg is about to turn 11 and daddy has been giving her supervised driving lessons on the DA 917. It won't be long before 'papa' and granddaughter will be tandem cutting the neighbor's two acres, her having the Sunstar. For that I will put up with the standard arrangement. After you have done it once, the diagnosis and repair should it happen again, it should be like "shooting fish in the rain barrel".^

HubbardRA
I understand, Bob. My youngest is 21, and there are no grandchildren yet, so I only have to worry about myself. Should work this way till I get too senile to drive it. I never had the interlocks when my kids were growing up either. The were taught to never mess with any of the tractors, unless I OK'd it. Even now, my 30, and 21 year old sons will not start one of my tractors without my permission and without me there with them. Carelessness with a tractor is one problem I have never had with my kids.