Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Left Rear Hub Slop 3212H

joelk

I noticed that the left side hub has some slop when going from forward to reverse. Is the only simple option just to weld (or JB Weld) the hub onto the axle? I can see the key walk back and forth as I change direction before it catches. Any good ideas on a simple fix?

I fixed one once by getting the next larger key, then hand filing it to have a tight fit in the worn grooves, then driving it into the groove with a hammer. I also made one by using the parts from a taper-lock coupling so it could be tightened onto the axle and have no slop. I eventually gave that one to Roy. The newer style axles have the left hub welded on. You can do that on the type you have and still be able to remove the axle if needed.

You will need to weld the hub with nickel rod because the hub is cast iron and the axle is steel. I have also seen this type of weld done with stainless steel rod, but this is not the best way since the rod material does not alloy with the cast iron. The weld will eventually crack when subjected to high stresses.