Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
CarlH

You Know You Are In Trouble When . . .

CarlH
You go into a Simplicity dealer, ask for Simplicity Hydraulic / Transmission Oil, and the guy behind the counter doesn't ask you how many quarts you want as he is going to the shelf where it is kept. He asked what model and started into his parts book. After a while he went back to the service area, came back, checked the parts books again, and then offered 90 W gear oil. When I said that wasn't what I wanted, I was told that that was the oil called out for a 7119H. I said yes, it was for the BGB, not the hydrostat and I left 8C ... 20 minutes of my life I will never get back.

RayS
Good dealers and service are hard to find! Around here you have to drive 40 - 90 miles for a good dealer. My locals don`t want to sell you anything but new equipment and the counter help offers the same experiences that you received or one would get from you local Auto Zone.

dentwizz
I was really bummed that the local expert in the shop 1/2 mile from my house moved to Alaska in July:O Now that shop "only services items sold by them" because of lack of personnel. Doesn't help that they replaced the expert with a high-schooler C

timflury
quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
That's why the true experts are right here, on the best Simplicity / Allis site on the planet. Period.
I agree 100%, but we don't have any hydro fluid on the boards here.:D:D My local dealer allows me behind his counter with him when we are hunting down parts. We are also on a first name basis. Now I could go to a different shop up the road the other way and get Briggs parts a lot faster, but when I get good quality service with a few nudge nudge, wink wink jokes I find it hard to go elsewhere. Oh, yeah, you should have seen the look on his face when I showed him my LL and Brinly plow, it was like a kid in a candy store!!

dentwizz
Hehe, Tim I hear ya. There were quite a few times I went into that shop when the expert was out and had to get something from his assistant. He was good with mech but not so hot on computers, so he got to expecting me to walk around and actually use the computer to find the parts!8D Sometimes when I was waiting in line he would be looking for a part that the guy at the front had and the customer would be "I think its a 42 inch deck..." I'd respond "990501" and he would say "Yes! Thanks;)" But yes, the experts are here!

lampoulos
The company I work for is on the upwards swing and is buying new stores here and there. Not too long ago we bought a local Agco/Allis Chalmers dealership which also has an entire section of the store dedicated to lawn & garden equipment. These guys have been a family owned business for the better part of a century and they're great to talk to about these machines. They've got tons of experiance and you can feel the excitment when you talk about there product. Especially the older tractors. It's been a great experiance for me. They even let me know that they have a 75th anniversery still in a shipping crate in storage out back. I haven't been there to see it yet, but will soon.

JohnMBerst
Guess the flip side to bad, is the good local Simplicity dealer. While I could find it cheaper, being able to walk in the back door, and chat with the mechanics who worked on my two tractors is great. Yesterday took photos of the 6216 with cab and blower to show them when, and all worked stopped. Thought it looked showroom new. Asked a few questions and are a great help. Almost got as free Simplicity chute motor. (maybe next time). The counter guy is also a great help to look up and help find "stuff". They are also a sponsor to this site. Guess mt purchase is cost / service driven.

MPH
Hey Josh, where in Alaska did your expert move too? Might have to look him up if you have his name and whereabouts. My parts take 4-5 days to get but because of her knowledge and service I always call Brenda at SLI. No dealers up here anyway.

dentwizz
MPH, I'll have to check into that. His name is Eric Eby. I know they posted his email in the shop bulletin board for help questions;)

HubbardRA
Our local Simplicity dealer used to be a terrible place to buy parts. It is a family owned business and a few years back they remodeled and re-organized the place. The sister then took over the parts department instead of one of the brothers. Now it is a breeze to get the right parts. I was rebuilding a mower deck. Went in with Simplicity numbers, AC numbers, and Timken bearing numbers. I laid the paper on the counter and asked for mower bearings. The lady turned around and reached into a box and got 6 out. She then looked at me and said, I don't need the numbers, since they are all the same. I love it when somebody knows their job. I've never had a problem since the ladies took over the parts department.