Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
MPH

Buzz Saw Needed

MPH
Been driving through "pecker pole grove" looking for firewood for several years out in the burn area. Brought home a truck 1/2 load of 45 trees today.

Because of several sq miles of these out there, if I were to score a buzz saw for my landlord I'd have to consider cutting 10 foot stuff for firewood as these little things are 100-120 years old, according to forestry, VERY dense wood. I need a few banisters in the house with little Gubbers getting braver to check stuff out on her own, that's my thought on cutting these today, get some in the yard while it's above zero for that creative time 60 below can bring upon me, if I can be in a warm shop.

comet66
quote:
Originally posted by MPH
get some in the yard while it's above zero for that creative time 60 below can bring upon me, if I can be in a warm shop.
Anything above zero is considered warm?

Brettw
Find yourself a wood lathe Marty, and you could be in business making newel posts, balusters, baseball bats, etc. You could be Tok Sluggers instead of Louisville Sluggers!

lampoulos
Marty, Is it true that anything under 20 below feels the same? I live in North Dakota where it hits 30 below at most, maybe 35 below for a few weeks in the winter. You're mustache and eye lashes freeze together pretty quickly. I couldn't imagine 60 below. What I did notice though is that past 20 below there's no moisture in the air making it feel almost warmer, like a different kind of cold...

ReedS
Greg, I think Marty needs something to do rips, as in a mill style buzz saw unless, he's gonna make a ton of firewood! I've found mine to be fairly good at chopping up small stuff 5" and less, anything larger than that is just as easy to fire up the Poulan........

MPH
Been through you town a few times in the winter on trips down to Ne or Mn Craig. I've always figured anything below -40 felt the same. Your right on after the moisture freezes out of the air it doesn't "feel" as cold. I can leave Tok at -40, get down to Anchorage at zero and feel colder. first one in that post is what I could put to work the fastest Greg. The one you were running would be sweet. Shop temp equals at least plus 60 John.

SmilinSam
quote:
Originally posted by dentwizz
What kinda wood is that? 60 below?!:O Eek thats cold!
Yep Dent, there are fewer things scarier than Martys pictures of his thermometer in action, that and his upside down full oil cans that have been like that for an hour and still nuthin coming outyellOO

dentwizz
Haha, that brings back memories... I had one time pouring aviation oil into a plane through a funnel in 10 deg tarmac air. Took almost half an our to do 2 gallonssm00. Glad we were paid by the hour...

Sign in to follow this