Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

wheel horse d-200 question? UPDATED W/ PICS

SethL007

ok guys i have a question that is not really related to simplicity or allis but i thought maybe somebody knows a little about wheel horse. i have the opportunity to buy a wheel horse d-200 tractor. it has hydraulic lift, rear pto, 3pt hitch, and a hydro. drive, comes with a belly mower, wheel horse lawn trailer, tiller, front blade, snowblower, lawn roller, rear garden plow, homemade steel cab (its actually really nice), pull type sprayer, lawn aerator, wheel weights and chains. the tractor has not been run in a few years but has been stored inside and is in pretty nice shape. the implements look like they havent been used much at all. this is an older gentlemen that bought it new and he wants me to buy it but he isnt sure what to charge and i have NO clue what to offer. i just dont know much about these things but it really intrigues me. thanks for any input.

It depends on how much you are willing to spend. I have no desire for a Wheel Horse But something around $1000 would sound reasonable There is a lot of equipment there I've sold more equipment for less money You have to find someone who wants it as bad as you want to sell it.

$1000 would be a good deal for you. i was say with all the attachments it could be listed for $1500-$2500. check here - [url]http://whtractor.15.forumer.com/[/url]

Sounds like a nice oufit and they usually sell pretty well easily would sell for $1500+ at auctions I go to.That said I bought one a couple years back and was Underwhelmed to what it would do compared to the size.

They are comparable in price to a Powermax or Allis 720. Most of the guys in here who trade in those would likely be asking $3 to $4 grand , probably more for such a Simplicity or AC package that ran good. I hate making offers on packages like that, because to be fair to the seller I probaly couldnt afford to make an offer.

• 4 weeks later...
The D-200 is among the most sought after Horses. The other guys are way off on its value. if the tractor has no major issues and is in average or better condition with all the attachments complete and functional, easily will pull 3k. Just the tractor with the 3 point and a deck is worth 1500 all day. and no it does not have a renualt engine, those were in the D-250 and they ran great...nothing wrong with them at all. The D-200 has a 20 hp opposed 780cc Onan cast iron twin. they are real beasts...they weight around 1200 lbs without any attachments. try Craig's list at 3k...bet its gone the same day. I suggest you look on Craigs list for other comparable tractors and see what they are selling for in your area. here is one with no attachments except a loader for 3200.00 http://nh.craigslist.org/grd/2072195958.html

I am somewhat a Wheel Horse man. These are stout looking tractors but not really any more so than the lighter C series Wheel Horse. Problem I here with them the most is they take a large area to turn around ( not the best mower tractors for smaller yards ) Also hard they turn somewhat hard due to the heavier tractor. That package deal is worth quite a lot to the right person.

The only bad thing I have heard on the D series is that the trannys sometimes have a bolt come loose in the differential as it has been explained to me. As the tractor is worksed like this the bolt will slide out and catch the inside surface of the tranny case and often result in busting a chunk of the tranny case out. Parts no longer available as I'm told and you have to find a used tranny to fix. There is a D 250 in my area with a loader and backhoe in it that has been sitting for years cause the owner is still looking for a transmission. I had this happen to a smaller Wheel Horse Hydro once. If you turned one way backing up it would pull the bolt back in, or at least the bolt would get pushed back in by a curved part of the case. . Go forward and it would work out again and catch brining the tractor to a stop.

well guys here is the update. i got the tractor bought for $1700.00. hopefully i didnt overpay but i figured for everything that comes with it, it is probably worth that. time will tell i guess. i am hoping to go pick everything up tomarrow morning. i will get some photos posted if you guys are interested even though it is not a allis or simplicity. thanks for all the input!!

$1700 is a good price for that package. The K532 Kohler is a bullet proof engine and unlike the D-250 the D-200 doesn't have the turning problems that have been mentioned

• 2 weeks later...
here are some pics that a couple guys wanted to see i am in the process of getting it ready for winter snowblowing just wheel weights and tire chains and shes done!!
[img]/club2/attach/SethL007/D200.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/SethL007/d2002.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/SethL007/d2003.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/SethL007/d2004.jpg[/img]

[img]/club2/attach/SethL007/d2005.jpg[/img]
thanks again guys for the info on these tractors!!

hey that is one awesome machine!!!always liked the old wheelhorses!!that cab is sweet...i love those vdrestein tires also...i have a..and i say this quietly....lol...deere 420 with those vdresteins on the front and even though it has powersteering, steers even better in the snow with those compared to the turfs i had on there...that tractor looks about the same size too...good score!!!!