Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Score 2 for the ignitions

dentwizz

As I posted a while ago, I successfully converted my 23D brigs in the 64LL to Magnetron solid-state via bolt on modern 10hp parts(flywheel and bracket). Works like a charm! Starts easier than ever and doesn't miss a beat:D Hot off the success of that conversion, my dad wanted me to convert his 10hp 2210 to the modern Magnetron unit as well. Hearing the possibility of "polarity differences" I was slightly fingers-crossed about it. He has had quite a few bouts of dirty points over the summer so we figured nothing to lose when a Magnetron is only $25 bucks online. Today I finally got to doing that swap and it proved successful as well. Polarity was what it should be, spark is healthy and it runs decent. (post op autopsy on the removed parts indicates the wires going to the points were heavily cracked and fraying. The point contacts were virtually black from only a couple hours service too:O. At least that's a non issue nowsm01 )

Hey Josh, this is the missing link (I think). So if I am reading correctly. You had a 19d or a 23d with a three leg coil and removed the flywheel and old coil. Then replaced the flywheel and added magnetron and now no points! Do you have any pictures of the conversion? If so we need to add this thread to the archives. This is awesome. No more points plunger! Cool jh

Question 1: Yes, Magnetron is the Briggs OEM term for their version of the solid-state or electronically fired coil. In contrast to the add-on electronic units installed without removing the coil, a Magnetron unit is 100 percent contained inside the plastic casting of the coil. Simple and reliable. Unlike many electronic add-ons such as the "Megafire" unit that is installed at the breaker points, Magnetron units fire at a much lower speed permitting easier startingsm01 Question 2: The original engine was a 23D with the 3-leg coil. I removed the flywheel and mounting bracket and replaced both from a late(post 1981) 243431 (10hp) engine. Both mated flawlessly. To replace the plunger and plug the hole I took bolt, since the hole is 3/8" the next size larger in metric. Drive it in with some downward force with an impact wrench very slowly as the cast iron is fairly soft. If you have a tap for the hole that would be a little friendlier, but I did not have any issues with it. The second engine(the 2210 10hp) already had a compatible flywheel and bracket, so it was a matter of taking an off-the-shelf Magnetron coil and eliminating the points-control wiring from the previous install. Much simpler with a lot less wiring to go wrong. In both cases, it should be noted that the only difference from a typical Magnetron and the ones used on these is the length of the spark plug lead. The coil-to-plug distance in the modern vertical shaft engines is quite a bit shorter, so make sure the coil is listed for this application. In the 243431-0129 diagram they list 'breakerless' and 'breaker point' coils. If you use the 'breakerless' part number you will get the Magnetron of the right type.

Can you take pictures and do a write-up of your work? I have looked for ways to convert a 19d for years. I tried a mega-fire and that does not work on a three leg coil. So the way to go would be change flywheels and use a magnetron. This should definitely go in the tech tips and articles. jh

I'll see what I can do on the write up. I wanted to take a bunch of pix in process but my hands were pretty well black most of the way from a well oiled block|) There should be enough around here to make a pic tutorial though...