Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
DanD

Hour meter for late Sovereign

DanD
I would like to put an hourmeter on my late Sovereign. However,when I look at the Simplicity parts list, I see no mention of an hourmeter, even as optional and my owner's manual does not list an hourmeter under the optional accessories section. I know those mechanical hourmeters are available at any parts store..in fact I bought one for my old Sovereign at Napa a few years back. The real problem is that I don't see a place to make an electrical connection for an hourmeter. My old Sovereign had a hot and a ground wire right there ready to use. I don't see any unused wires on the new Sovereign and the wiring looks a lot more complicated. The wiring diagram also showed no hourmeter. So, were these not available with hour meters? I honestly expected to find an unused wire under the dash for the hourmeter. Thanks in advance for any answers!

RayS
Here is the installation instructions manual. I never seen one wired for an hour meter unless it had a hour meter. http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCzEN8bqL7rE7CN_5kbp796Dq

DanD
Thank you for that link. However, the only Sovereign models covered are the older 7000 models. My newer Sovereign doesn't have that board to plug into. I don't see a place to get voltage on mine when the key is turned on. One thing a person could perhaps do is get one of those connections that allows two wires to hookup to one terminal and hook it to the hot side of the light switch. I think the lights only work if the key is on.

305SS
Dan I put one in mine the hole is prepunched in the dash. You have to remove dash to install it. Do not now how easy that is on a power steering unit like yours. On a non p/s unit takes about 15mins. If you would like me to look at mine to see were wires are hooked up to let me know. All you need is a wire that is switched power and a ground.

Mike
My 99 had the prewired connections, I think I picked up an hour meter off ebay, simple dremmal installation, helpful to remove steering wheel on p/s tractors.

PhanDad
On the hour meter installed on my 75th, the hot wire was connected to the +12v input of the light switch. A "U" type connector was on the switch tab to allow 2 wires on the one tab. The ground was connected to the left mounting bolt of the solenoid via a ring connector.

larry8200
I got this tach / hour meter new on eBay for $15 delivered. 2 wires, one wraps around spark plug lead the other to ground. Has programmable maintenance alarms, 5 year battery, shows RPM with engine running and hours when engine is off. There are a lot of different price and quality levels.
[img]/club2/attach/larry8200/dash.jpg[/img]

hotrodtractor
would love a tach/hr meter that runs off 12v battery power... tiny tach's only got a diesel one that does but don't think it will work on a gasser... any thoughts that 5 year battery thing is not cool with me

mbsengineer
quote:
Originally posted by larry8200
I got this tach / hour meter new on eBay for $15 delivered. 2 wires, one wraps around spark plug lead the other to ground. Has programmable maintenance alarms, 5 year battery, shows RPM with engine running and hours when engine is off. There are a lot of different price and quality levels.
I just bought the exact same one on eBay (I paid $30), and I'm wondering which RPM option is the correct setting for my AC 712 [with the original Kohler]? It can be set for any of the following... (1) 1 spark = 2 revolutions (2) 1 spark = 1 revolution (3) 2 sparks = 1 revolution I'm thinking that with a 4 cycle engine it should be #1, but the default setting for all these tach's (that I've seen) is #2 ... so it's making me question which is correct. Thanks for the help!

MikeES
On the tiny tach. If you have an old Kohler K engine single cylinder you would pick #1. On the Briggs cast iron pick #2 (they fire on every revolution). On the KT engines and Magnum pick #2 they fire both cylinders on each rev.