Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sovereign Frame color

hotrodtractor

I was under the impression that 1997 and newer soveriegns had the gray frame. However, I think I am seeing some with black. I always thought triad (97+) had gray. From my exepereince the balck paint seems to hold up much better and easier to match if you need touch up. Anyone confirm a newer black frame? And why the mixed bag, did it have to do with the Agco versions? What I know for sure my 95 and 96 have black my 75th and 99/2000 have gray!

I thought the gray was only used on the 75th tractor. But the Argo Allis 918H shown in this listing looks gray: http://cgi.ebay.com/Agco-Allis-918H-Simplicity-Garden-Tractor-/220692756790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3362503936 The last Simplicity catalog I have showing the Sovereign is 1998 and the pic clearly shows a black frame and OHC engine:

Only grey paint I've seen listed in any Sovereign manual is #1685718, Metallic Gray (Wheels).

so far all those shown look black not grey/charcoal to me. my examples. Ron yes that's the vanguard in there just test fitting :) thanks for the deal on it.

[quote]Originally posted by PhanDad
I thought the gray was only used on the 75th tractor. But the Argo Allis 918H shown in this listing looks gray: http://cgi.ebay.com/Agco-Allis-918H-Simplicity-Garden-Tractor-/220692756790?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3362503936 Yes that is the gray I am talking about

maybe my 2000 got a left over 75th frame or something. Mine was near the end of the list in the service manual 1693407 crazy part is it's serial # 02. The absolute last simplicity one is 1693409. Guess there is no rhyme or reason for the frame color. All I know is the dull gray sucks compared to the black for durability and matching.

• 9 months later...
I know this thread is old but did you ever get it figured out ? That "Grey" looks to me like nothing more than sun faded black. Pretty common around here.

no there are definitely two different paints one is black one is gray/charcoal. I have had several since this post seems that most new ones with triad had the gray frame. ones with command had black. Burntimes triad has a black frame so I don't think there is a standard.

hmmm, My 918H Agco has grey wheels but the frame is black. But there are not near as many Simplicity's around here as most of you seem to have to the north. I guess its less likely I'd see one of those.