Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow blowing on gravel?

I have a 42" blower that I try not to use on my gravel drive due to the rock throwing. If I can handle the snow with my blade that's what I do. I thought about tacking or bolting a 3/4" or so pipe to the bottom of the blower to reduce the amount of rocks it picks up but haven't tried it yet. It was amazing to me the quantity of gravel that gets picked up with the blower. You know it is getting some while doing it but it really hits home once the snow melts and you have to rake it several feet back into the driveway out of the yard. I asked this question before and had suggestions like cutting down old snow skis for replacement of the factory ski shoes. The only reason I keep the blower is for the next blizzard of '78 or if and when I get the cash to pour my 150+' x 20' driveway. See link to message 1332 below. Brent[A href='http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=1332&mode=short&startwith=0']http://www.simpletractors.com/clubhouse/ShowMessage.asp?MsgID=1332&mode=short&startwith=0[/a]

You can also raise it up by adjusting the lift rod collar in conjunction with the notches on the lift handle brace.

I have a 4212 with a 36" single stage snow thrower. I know that this question has been asked before but, can it be used on a gravel drive way?

I blade my drive til I get about 1 inch of snow pack, my advantage is snow fell in oct doesn't melt til may. Butttt I throw very few stones..MPH

There should be adjustment feet on each side of the thrower, set these to maximum heigh for the most clearance. I have used a thrower on my Simplicity on a stone driveway and I found there is no way to avoid throwing some stone with the snow if the surface is not perfectly flat. Obviously be extra careful of bystanders and property. Aside from removing paint the stones caused no damage to my single stage snow thrower.

The trick to using a snowthrower on gravel is to get a real nice flat grade before the first snow. Then if you keep the snowthrower blade raised 1" you won't be throwing rocks (only newspapers, toys, garden tools, etc). Best bet is blacktop or concrete. Then you can sweep the snow away. http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/sweepster/12.jpg