Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B10 Steering Wheel Bushing

Architectdave

I made one for mine out of a locking collar. Place a clamp underneath it to keep it from sliding down. Keep lubed well and it works quite nicely, not to mention no shaft bounce. Yes, I know its hard-on-hard surface, but in 3 yrs of doing so it has no wear.

A B-110 that I once owned, had a homemade bronze bushing for the steering shaft. It was made with a flange about an inch larger than the dash opening, and was secured by two f.h. cap screws into the dash panel. It worked great. Just a couple drops of oil now and then, and the steering was solid as a rock. Someone with a lathe could turn one out quickly.

Locking collar is a round bushing-like piece of hardware in this instance about a half inch thick and the O.D. is almost the I.D. of the steering column. The shaft size is the steering shaft, but it is not tightened onto it. Let it float. In fact, if I recall the locking collar came already on the shaft. I just re-purposed it to be the bushing when the rubber one disintegrated.

I was looking at the lock collars at the hardware store but none were the 1.25" diameter I needed for the tube int he tractor frame. Man I really need a small metal lathe.

John, That would work well. You could braze a couple of ears on to secure it to the dash panel. A little brass polish and have a nice "custom up-grade".:)