Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sunstar Bucket Build

stevenj

Here are some photos of the front bucket I fabricated for my Sunstar. This has taken the entire summer & fall to complete and is currently being painted. Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. The bucket mimics the bucket from the Buccateer brand bucket while the bucket dumping actuator arrangement and lifting frame mimic the Johnny Bucket design with modifications to accomodate my pivot pin arrangement. The hitch is my own design and I set it up to have 30 degrees of up travel of the bucket. When the bucket is full up there is about 3.5" of clearance to the front of the hood. The hitch pivots on a 5/8" rod that is held stationary to the tractor frame. There are two "links" that keep the pivot rod secured to the frame. The pivot rod is welded to one of the "links" and the other side is free to slide along the length of the rod. I've positioned my side links on the outside of the frame rails as opposed to the front blade hitch which has them on the inside of the frame rails. The hitch then pivots relative to the rod, so if there is any wear of the pivot rod, it can be easily replaced. For the Sunstar front blade and snowblower, the pivot rod rotates as the attachment is lifted and there is rubbing wear on the frame of the tractor. I was able to lift myself (200 lbs) standing in the bucket on the front of the cutting edge, so it should be able to lift a full load of dirt in the bucket. For those not familiar with Sunstar tractors here is a photo showing the attachment points on the tractor.

Here is a picture showing the attachment of the front blade hitch. The pivot rod rotates with the hitch. The links that secure the hitch to the frame are located on the inside of the frame rails.

I also fabricated my own lift rod.

Well, because Steve was doing such a great job on snow cabs, I already have placed my order for a few with a TV, wipers, defroster, heat, etc. I am waiting for the order confirmation, and he did say it was on it's way, as soon as hades froze over or some such thing. I'm sure being THAT cold it had something to do with the snow cab, so I am soooo excited for when it's going to show up! Now, Steven, I am sure with just a few modifications to fit the 7119, you can whip together a bucket for me. Now, I'm not lookin' for much (just like Steve, I don't want to push things) but I'm thinkin' a drive up insta connection with hydraulic locking, and a Western type hydro turn control valve (cab mounted of course with all of the hardware, just give ol' Steve a call to coordinate the engineering) to operate everything. Just your basic good quality primer with a color matching powder coat (baked enamel seemed a little over the top, don't you agree?), and some good solid pallet and crate setup for shipping and logistics. That major earth moving project I have set up isn't scheduled until next weekend, so that gives ya almost 10 days to fab, paint, package and ship (wouldn't want to put ya in a real bind or anything). Let me know so I can inspect, test and use it, and then we can work out the zero percent, 60 months same as cash arrangements. By then, my own personal bailout bucks should finally be here, and I can pay in full! Thanks a bunch! And I'll hold my breath in anticipation! :D

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
Very nice, me thinks you have access to a plasma cutter
Nope. 4-1/2" angle grinder with the thin cut-off discs and a 12" bench disc sander handle most of the cutting and clean up work with an occassional use of a sanding disc on the angle grinder if the part is too large to hold up to the disc sander. Wish I had a plasma cutter. Most of my cuts are straight but if I need to add a radius I do it with a drill or hole saw and then finish the cut with the cut-off discs cutting tangent to the edge of the drilled hole.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw
Now, Steven, I am sure with just a few modifications to fit the 7119, you can whip together a bucket for me. :D
You mean something like this one. ;)

quote:
You mean something like this one. ;)
Yes. Yes, that would be quite fine. I prefer orange of course, but that will work in a pinch. 8D Seriously though, what is the hydraulic lift lever on the right side of the tractor? I don't believe I have seen that before.

quote:
Originally posted by Brettw Seriously though, what is the hydraulic lift lever on the right side of the tractor? I don't believe I have seen that before.
That lever is used to trip the bucket so it can dump. I made that lever out of a hydraulic lift lever to actuate the dump lever. I didn't like the idea of using ropes.

Steve you do great work. all the little details are taken care of. I read the orginal post. Thinking wow what a nice job !! not realizing the it was Steve, son of Sam. I rember thing "no wonder it was so good, It wasSam's son steve that did this Anything less from you would be a disappointment. I really admire the way your projects turn out. Keep up the good work. While Brett is kidding about cab, he really is not. It is too bad that you can not sell your projects Now if someone can polish up my words and thoughts so they more accurately reflect what I am trying to say. Keep up the good work !!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• dhoadley
  • Recent Status Updates

• gwiseman

gwiseman

Site programming updates were made 3/23/2024. As a result some things have changed including dues payment options. We will continue maintenance and work with technicians to regain credit card payment option and clear up minor challenges. On positive it appears attaching pictures is now easier. Good day. Gene 
      · 1 reply
    • gwiseman

gwiseman

Site maintenance scheduled to begin 10a CDT on 3/16/24
      · 0 replies
  • Adverts