Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Where does this spring go? short term memory loss.

AC710

Help! Can anyone take a look at your 710 or 7010 etc. 3-speed and tell me where this spring goes? I finished a BGB rebuild and can't find a spot that needs this spring. It is about 6-1/2 inches long. one end has an inserted hook that is not part of the spring itself. The clutch/brake return spring, parking brake support spring and PTO lever spring are all installed. This spring does not show up in the parts breakdown, so it is a mystery. I should have taken the tranny photo "before".

"Would that spring be for the pto belt tensioning lever?" No, that one is heavier and I have it in place. "It may be the spring that attaches to the parking brake rod." There is already a smaller spring attached right behind the footrest; would this one go somewhere else on the parking brake rod?

It looks like an non OEM spring. Could the previous owner installed it somewhere on the brake/clutch pedal linkage to fully pull back the brake pedal. There is clearance between the adjusting nuts on the brake rod and they may have used the spring to pull the rod back fully. It might have even gone under the frame tunnel where the brake pedal arm goes thru the frame side rail.

seat lowering spring? As I recall, the drive belt spring is rather nasty, as well, and much bigger wire diameter. Looks like something added later for clutch return, possibly

I'm now thinking it was put on there by a previous owner to quiet down some rattling that may have come from the PTO. When I took off the BGB, the pto clutch hinge bolts were off-centered and about to fall out. I don't think they were too good at maintenance. I also thought about a clutch/brake tension spring, and see one up near the rock shaft in the parts list, but there aren't any wear marks on my tractor and no apparent need for a spring. I think I will keep it in the spare parts box unless someone comes up with a revelation. Thanks for all your help on this.