Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

hailia

Loose Flywheel on 725

hailia
I have a 1962 725 with the original briggs 19 in it. My problem is this. The flywheel one day suddenly loosened up. I pulled everything apart, tightened up the nut, put everything back together, started it up and the flywheel loosened up again. It looks like all the parts are there per whatever sketches I can find from briggs or simplicity but it just won't stay tight. There is NO key way on the crank shaft. Can anybody enlighten me? Thanks

dentwizz
There should be a locking plate if I am not mistaken that holds the nut in place. It looks like a rectangle with a star hole and two slots on the outer edges.

Finkbeinerpulling
I had the same problem with mine after i put a new coil in it, the locking plate has to be installed so the nut wont turn at all, it has to be clocked against the bolts that hold the driveshaft block on. I clocked it the wrong way my first time apart and didnt make it out the door of my shop. Live and learn.

robob
If torgueing to 100 ft lb and installing the lock plate doesn't help replace the flywheel.I have a good used on you can have just pay the shipping