Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

headlight question

steve-wis

Looking for a pair of headlights for the new snow cab. I am not sure what I can run with the output I have. The tractor has an 11 h.p. briggs engine. I am looking at a pair of 55 watt halogen worklights. Anyone have any idea if the tractor can handle these? If not, any suggestions? I am going to run these in place of the tractor headlights, so the tractor headlights won't be drawing any power. What do you think? Steve

I'm thinking you have a dual circuit electrical system, 3A DC for battery charging and up 100 watts 12V AC for lighting. I don't know if Halogen is polarity sensitive and I doubt if 3 amp DC will handle the needs. Also with the AC circuit, output voltage changes with RPM.

If you wire the two Lamps in series, each lamp will run at 6 volts, the total current draw of the two in series will be approx 2.3 amps. You would have to wire them up this way and try them to see if they put out enough light. I did this with a pair of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/clear-lens-halogen-lights-37349.html I find the light output to be acceptable You can catch these on sale for around $10 for the pair.

Those Harbor Freight lights are the ones I was looking at. Will pick up a set and give them a try before mounting them. Thanks for the imput, and also for the watts to amps formula. Me and electrical systems don't always get along very well! Steve

Those look just like the pair I have used for about 15 years. Worked well on my 5212.5, and did not have a battery problem. The tractor does have a small car battery, which might have helped some.

http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/ohmslaw.asp So you're not an electrical wizard Steve, how 'bout a math whiz?? It would be a good idea to go and buy a cheap multimeter and see the current draw with the lights wired up and turned on. LED technology has made leaps and bounds over the last few years. They draw a lot less current and last forever. The most critical thing people overlook in a DC electrical system is the quality of the ground circuit.

You could disconnect the lights on the tractor . They do not do a lot of good with the sowbloer. Then you can run you cab lights. BUT I recently saw a post where they mounted the lights on the snowblower looks like they worked pretty well And if you have clearance problems less likely to have problem with damaging cab and or light like i did Was thinking about the snwplows for pick ups, they usually relocate their lights also

Ron, I am going to disconnect the tractor headlights. Planning on mounting the new lights on the corners of the cab, I really like that look. I can see how it would be easy to whack them, but I am going to try it and see. As far as led lights, I really haven't seen a source for them, does anyone have one? Steve