Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
simplewrench

Round hooded dilema

simplewrench
About a year ago I asked an older gentleman if he ever thought about selling his B10. He said he'd consider it. Well I talked to him today and he said he wants to sell both his B10 and his 410 all together with their decks and snow blades. Neither of them are currently running and I have no idea how many years the B10 has been sitting. He is the original owner on both. The 410 is very nice looks just about 5 years old is all. So I asked him what he was thinking for price. He said for both tractors both decks 2 snow blades and tire chains $1000. I tried not to act too shocked but wow I was thinking about half that. So we just left it up in the air for now with the agreement that we would talk about it when he got his garage cleaned out and all the stuff together. Just wondering if you all thought I was out of line in my thinking. Thanks Tom.

dentwizz
Here are a few criterium to grade such a deal on(without being super inspecty on the guy). How far off from running are they? Are the batteries salvageable? Is the paint on the B-10 decent? Seat have cracks? Do the decks have good bearings and no rust holes? Last but not least, if you wiggle the Bevel Gear Box(the gearbox that has the shaft crosswise to the chassis for the trans and mower deck power), does it have a lot of slop? If those items are good or satisfactory, I would consider around 5-700 but if they do not run it could be lower since proving condition is a little harder for the seller;)

TomSchmit
It also depends on if you want (and can)to do the work to get them running or if you want/need a running tractor now. Since you are in IL (AC/Simp tractors are more commmon in the midwest) you can pick up a running tractor for a lot less! Tom in Milwaukee

captainweezy
I would look for between 3-4 depending on how bad you want them and also like dentwizz says. There are many things to look at. I think zippovarga has a couple youtube videos about what to look for when purchasing a used allis/simplicity. Good luck

simplewrench
I do all my own work, so I've got that going on. The B 10 is the one I really want, I have a nice cycle bar mower to go on that one. I have had the chance to check the bevel gear boxes but will. I think the 410 would be very easy to get going, carb kit battery and general cleaning. I was figuring on retailing that one to help cover the cost. Like I said this gentleman is the original owner So he has a sentimental attachment and he remembers what they cost him new. So I want to be gentle and fair with him. It will be a while before I get up there again but I will keep you posted thanks for the input so far. Tom.

rm
welcome to the club 500 to 800 sounds fair to me if there clean, i bought a few junkers in the past that i was going to use for parts i ended up bringing them back to life, belts, carb rebuild, fluids check out you tube theres alot of usefull info good luck

SmilinSam
Run of the mill package if you ask me. they would have to be near spotless and good working & running condition to be worth anywhere near what he is asking IMO. It might be a different take if the tractors had wheel weights, power lifts, counterweights, tillers,grader blades dual lift levers, vacs, cabs and such & so forth.

goatfarmer
A 410 is a bit older that 5 years old. Can you sell it, and recover some of your investment? If you think you can, offer accordingly.

msiebern
Like goat said, figure out what you would be willing to give for the B10. Add to it the price you think you can get out of the 410. That is what you offer him. What the B10 is worth differs from buyer to buyer. Some are willing to pay much more for the same tractor because it is a model they want and are willing to go for it. Others could care less and would pay accordingly. In most cases you will never recoup your total investment in these older tractors, but if you want it bad enough, go for it.

ZippoVarga
The most I have paid for a single tractor was $400.00 and 3 years later, I still have done nothing to that tractor except for general preventative maintenance. It's a 1964 Landlord that gets regular use 12 months out of the year. Besides that one $400.00 dollar machine, all the others in my fleet cost me considerably less than 400. From free to $175.00 with tiller and tiller drive, to be exact. If you're not wanting the 410 and he isn't willing to separate the package, I say keep looking. This is just my opinion of course.

simplewrench
Thanks again for all the input. I did watch Zippo's videos and thanks for that. You did a good job and it's nice to have all that info in one place to remind us of the little things we tend to miss in the excitement of the hunt. And yes goatfarmer I am aware that the 410 is a lot older than 5 years but seriously it doesn't look much older in as far as the wear and tear. I did see any dents or even any rust, it is a nice tractor just not one that I want bad enough to make room for in the stable. So yep that one would be sold. Anyway thanks again Tom.