Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Sign in to follow this  
BrendonV

Front Lights

BrendonV
When I bought my 66 landlord 101, one of the lights was finicky. It is the kind where the switch is on the light itself, it'd pop on sometimes, but now it's just not working. Should I start at the switch? Do they go bad? Can I get a new glass bulb anywhere if it's bad? Still available?

RayS
Could be either the switch or bulb. Both are still available new. Bulb is more than likely a 4411. Number should be painted on the back side of bulb when you remove it. AutoZone probably has them.

BrendonV
The switch on the working light has a more positive "click" when switched on and off. The non working light's switch is lacking that "click". Any sources for the switch with that factory look? The bulb/light source. That whole glass light is available at Auto Zone? I don't think you can just replace the bulb.

RayS
Last switch I bought I got at AutoZone. Pretty common switch. Most any auto parts or AG supply stores carry the switches. May not be OEM but fit the hole and serve the purpose.

ZippoVarga
Most any hardware store will have the 12V switch....just look for one with the ball on the end to most closely resemble the stock OEM (Original Equipment Manufacture). The light bulb can be replaced with any 12V 55 watt lamp. An original will be a Guide lamp that has a triangle with a "G" in the middle and is a spot type, as opposed to a flood lamp. Either will work, one just has a lens that projects a wide (flood) beam and the other projects a spot beam. General Electric is the most commonly available replacement lamp. Good luck!!

BLT
Try NAPA You'd be surprised how thick their lawn and garden parts book is. I am hoping to get 2011 copy from the store that I go to. Also are you sure that you have a good ground? A bad ground source will cause strange things.

BrendonV
It's def. the switches. One switch now has no click to it, the somewhat working one you have to push down the switch into it's body. I probably won't even need the new bulbs, just bought them because I was there. I can return them and put the money towards a new Nelson muffler.

BLT
Volts X Amps = Watts Watts ? Volts + Amps If it is a 3A switch 120 VAC, you'll be OK. If it is a 12 V switch, you are way short, you need at least a 12V 15A switch so it will not burn the contacts out.