Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

AC 416 Hydrostatic Trans

When you turn the pulley, is the hydro lever in neutral by where you sit? If you have the free-wheel lever disengauged you won't get very far if the operator control is in neutral, next time you try this, make sure the lever is engaged, the wheels should turn then, but then again, for a hydro to work you have to have the pulley turning at quite a few hundred rpm or such, that is why the faster the engine rpm the faster the machine will move, you need to have a good charge prssure for the hydro to do anything, hydrostatic units can be finicky if you do not have them properly adjusted, double check over the stuff to be sure, good luck,-BradW

On my similar homelite T16 H I've been known to give it a kick with my boot to get the lever in the correct position. It has a Vickers trans and when you are loking at it from the rear the lever is straight up for neutral and to the left about 20 degrees for drive. I haven't broken it yet but have NEVER used a hammer. Although if I had a rubber mallet in my hand when it stuck I would have used it.

I am trying to resurrect an old AC 416 and have found a stumbling block. There is a gear shift on the rear of the tranny that allows it to be put into neutral to push it without starting the engine. It seems to be stuck in neutral. It will move a very little (like the shift fork is moving properly in the grove) but I don't want to put too much pressure on it. I say netural because when I turn the power feed pulley the hydro does turn the brake drum (and the axle sleeve on the left from rear axle) but the wheels don't turn. Do I have to remove the housing on the right side and delve into the gears ar does anyone know any tricks? Does the ?differential mechanism? on the right side just pull off or is there a trick there? I have ordered a service manual from jensales, but don't know if it will show all the gears or not. Thanks for any feedback. George

Actually, I think Straight up is drive and 20 degrees to the right when standing behind the tractor is neutral. There should be a metal tang that holds the lever in the upright position for drive. Any chance you can post a picture? Good luck, Clayton

If it's that stuck you can't do too much externally,the spring and ball detent is probably rusted or siezed.Gotta pull cover off and free up shaft//detent assy.You can soak the shaft with PB Blaster,tap it with a soft hammer a bit, but too much rapping could damage case or shaft.