Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power Steering

I'm thinking of buying a tractor for its power steering and putting it on my 7790. Then I would resell the tractor. Does the power steering work well, especially at lower rpms or is it slower than a person might want to turn??

from what I have read and heard. Power steering is great when using it in applications like snow blowing Heavy weight on front tires slow tight turns Alos good in most other tractor applications. But when traveling at higher speeds and turning quickl;y you will not have the control you desire Again this is what I have heard, and some of my experience with my articulated loader. Also what D17 told me about the PowerMax steering project. Now everyone can add their own experiences

I have both and pwr steering is nice when it works right. See my post for more info on slow hydro lift/steering. You will like the pwr steering if you don't compare to other machine like sunstar... soveriegn just slow to respond. Another thing to consider is long term maint. Pwr steering box is about $1000 and they do fail as do the cylinders.... manual steer low repair cost

quote:
Originally posted by hotrodtractor
bye the way the book says install takes 4hrs. to swap two tractors steering system expect 10+ hrs.
Hmmmmm. I haven't seen a power steering set-up on a 7000 series tractor except in pictures. I figured it was just a cylinder assist with a valve on the steering link like many cars in the 60's. I didn't think it would take a day to change out. Does anyone have a link to parts break down??

New style PS Kit Mfg#1692856; parts and install instructions: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEBGP_dqH5tG7EPl7mRgtLvBCd6 Not sure the above would mount on a 7000 series. Older style PS Kit Mfg#1691021; parts and install instructions: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCzEN8cvH4rE3CN_5kbp796Dq The above kit was also designed for the 7100 series.

Question - is it power steering assist or full power steering? Both our Prestige and the Agco (Sunstar) are full power steering and its hard to go back after you mow or blow snow. Our Landlord had assist and the first Prestige was assist. Big help after you got used to the slight hesitation at times. Love it greatly. Don't know about a Sovereign but would like to find one and swap it for the one we have without it.sm06sm06sm06

The older model was assist. The newer i believe is full power The problem with either one is that the power is supplied by the transmission. Which alos supplies poer to hydro lift. All these are add ons to tractor. The transmiision was not really designed to provide this extra power. When it works it works very well when capacity of system is reached, it may not work as well as you expectit to.

quote:
Originally posted by PhanDad
New style PS Kit Mfg#1692856; parts and install instructions: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=jgEBGP_dqH5tG7EPl7mRgtLvBCd6 Not sure the above would mount on a 7000 series. Older style PS Kit Mfg#1691021; parts and install instructions: http://bsintek.basco.com/BriggsDocumentDisplay/default.aspx?filename=heCzEN8cvH4rE3CN_5kbp796Dq The above kit was also designed for the 7100 series.
Thanks, this was the info I was looking for. The old kit is the one that would apply to what I'm thinking of doing on my 7790.

The interesting question concerns the new style power steering for the Sovereigns. There appears to be some consensus that it may not be responsive in certain situations. There are no similar observations for the Sunstar power steering. The major components of the systems are identical - PS valve that steering wheel mounts to and PS cylinder that turns the front wheels. The Sunstar hydrostat unit is the same series as the Sovereign unit although spec'd differently (splined shafts, etc). Can anyone help me understand why the behavior differs?

Both units are Sunstrand Series 15 and the charge pumps sure look to me to have the same physical dimensions. What else am I missing here? Is there some differences in the internal valving or a different internal flow divider?

I installed power steering on my 1996 sovereign about two years ago and love it. I don,t get in a huge hurry mowing my lawn to matter to me about response.If you do install power steering there is a slight drag if you get in a hurry mowing.(like around trees and stuff Ware you have to turn real fast)

I use my sovereign for tilling and mowing. I live in Florida so not much snow blowing down here. If i would have to do more with my tractors I have 12 more simplicity's 6 foot draggers and 6 rbts. I am a Simplicity nut.Its the disease

quote:
Originally posted by 427435
I don't mow with the 7790----just rotor tilling and snow blowing. What would a 7119 with snow blower and blade be worth in good condition??
Mark that is kind of a loaded question and it depends where you reside. Out East they get a higher price then here in Milwaukee. Two weeks ago I got, at an auction, a 7116 with a 48" deck for $140 and saw a 3112 with a deck and blower got for $275. The 7116 wasn't the "crem 'de crem" , but still a functional unit. Down here you might get $500-$600 unless you really held for the needle in the haystack buyer. Best I can tell you from this area.

This is a very interesting topic. Especially at this time, I am trying to locate a nice sovereign with power steering. I have a 917 without the power steering. I have plates and screws in both of my wrist and some other hardware in my elbows. I would just like some feedback from a few owners that have had both or drove both to see how big of a difference having the power steering really is. I don't mow with my 917 but I do plow and till and I also use the moldboard once a year.

Like I said I love the power steering on my sovereign. It is easy to steer as long as you don't mow like a mad man.I put power steering on my sovereign so my dad could use it. He was in bad shape for a lot of years and was a Simplicity man. He couldn't steer his old 101 Landlord any more. He bought it brand new and to him there was no better tractor. He loved the Sovereign with the power steering and could mow for hours (2 1/2 acres without getting tired. I just lost my Dad on October 28. It's been tough. He was the whole reason I fell in love with Simplicity tractors.